Archinect
anchor

Relocating and contacting my current boss' connection/head honcho at another firm

clearlyambguous

My current employer knows that I am relocating to another city for personal reasons and is willing to help me out since he went to school there and knows people. One of his contacts is the main principal at a firm I'm very interested in. This guy said to my boss he'd like to meet me, but there was no suggestion of trying to set up an interview yet. I'm moving in about a month, going to look for housing in a couple weeks. Should I send in a cover letter, resume, portfolio to him ahead of meeting him to introduce myself? As a big principal, I'm not sure my materials will even make it to his desk, even if I put his name on it. I could email him, but we haven't technically been introduced. 

Apr 16, 14 10:44 pm
quizzical

Send the materials you list above, mentioning when you're going to be in town and asking for a few minutes of his time. Then, ask your current employer to contact the "head honco at the other firm" to give him a "heads up" that the materials are on the way. 

That should get you an interview. From that point forward, it's up to you.

If you haven't heard anything back by the time you go to look for housing, call the firm and ask for the "honcho" in question. Explain the situation to the receptionist and she'll probably at least put you through to the "honcho's" secretary.

Good luck.

Apr 17, 14 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: