Archinect
anchor

Important, please reply!

rjee_

I'm 17 years old and I wanna study architecture, basically that's what I wanted to do since I can remember myself. I live in Greece and this profession is considered a wrong way for a young person because of the recession and the huge difficulty to find a job. However I am pretty sure that I do qualify for this job and that I will finally make it to find a job and make a living. So I want to know if Europe is a favorable place for young architects to find job (I know it is really better compared to the US). I mean will there be more jobs in about 10 years or the situation will get worse and worse. Please someone with reply!

P.S. I'm not planning to stay in Greece. 

Apr 16, 14 10:22 pm
accesskb

Europe better for jobs compared to US?  I think not.

Hey.. Look at it this way.  World's population is constantly growing.  Construction isn't going to stop.  It depends on where you plan to work.  When most of all started our educations, we all figured we had the potential to become starchitects one day. :)  Personally, whether I'd find a job or not after graduation didn't even cross my mind when I started school.  There are some things we can't really predict. 

If you're already having second thoughts and you would rather switch to another profession because some of us in here tell you that jobs will be hard to find in 10 years, this profession is probably not for you.

Good luck!

Apr 16, 14 10:36 pm  · 
 · 

The rest of the world is going the way of Greece. Do yourself a favor and pick another profession. 

Apr 16, 14 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
cg_8
Don't stray away from the profession because a few guys tell you to move away from the profession. The profession took a strong hit due to the economy, but guess what? All those who reply are working as architects or are working in some form in the profession. So, despite the idea that there's no jobs, there are. And if you are passionate and love this profession, you will get a job.

I received my MArch aster of Architecture) in 2009. I ALWAYS wanted to be an architect, and love what I do. Nothing was going to stop me from being an architect. So I was working at one of the largest firms here in the US and was laid off the day I received my MArch. Jobs were non existent then. And I'm not talking about now non existent. Because people are finding jobs now. I'm talking, people were losing their jobs, myself included. It was hopeless since I was just coming out of school and was competing with guys with decades of experience.

The difference is that I love it. I know you'll hear a lot of guys tell you to go away from the profession, but don't if you love it.

Here's what I'd do if I were you. Study architecture. If you love it in school, then stick with it. If not, find another area of study that interests you. You're ridiculously young to be thinking about a job. If you do well in school and show your passion out of it, you'll get a job. I did. I beat out guys with loads more experience than me. My work, work ethic and passion showed my value. People notice that.

So don't give up on something until you actually know you don't like it. Give it a shot. I promise the first time you stay awake for 48 hours working on your project, you'll know whether you want to continue.

Good luck!
Apr 16, 14 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

If you have even some doubt and have another interest (like computer engineering) I'd say go with that.  Software industry is booming.  Jobs are plentyful.  Demand for workers are high and will likely increase. 

Imagine this scenario.  Getting hired before you even graduate university with your first pay of $90,000/year already waiting.  Switch to other companies with a year or two because you can.  Earn anywhere from $200,000+ within 5 years because companies are fighting over you and willing to pay you more because you have experience. 

Better yet.  In your freetime, develop a software or an app with your programming background, take it to investors and earn a few million dollars overnight.

Or stick with architecture and be worried about finding a job that pays you $40,000 after you finish your Masters. Then display your fake smile and act like you truly are in this field because you LOVE the challenges and it brings you satisfaction.  xD 

Apr 17, 14 12:21 am  · 
 · 

Man architecture sucks!!!!  We are like peanuts !!!! We don't make money till we are old farts.

And everybody is a hustla try to make it on their own.

Apr 21, 14 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

Or stick with architecture and be worried about finding a job that pays you $40,000 after you finish your Masters. Then display your fake smile and act like you truly are in this field because you LOVE the challenges and it brings you satisfaction.  xD 

accesskb, sounds like we are in the same situation... /\

but like to add, +150K in student loans =(.

DAMN you student loans !!!

Apr 21, 14 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: