Archinect
anchor

Structural support needed!! Please help!!

MagnumAce

Hello guys:

I need immediate assistance on this design. Can anyone propose a structural solution for my building facade design?? The material I am trying to use is Fibre Reinforced concrete!! 

regards

Felix

Apr 15, 14 5:01 pm
accesskb

buttresses would go very well with that

Apr 15, 14 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

what are your options?

Apr 15, 14 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

use Fibre Reinforced concrete

Apr 15, 14 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

What material is your facade? In reality, it would be really expensive to make this out of concrete. I think that if your facade was made out of metal panels, it would be more feasible from a fabrication standpoint. If you choose metal panels, you can weld angles on the back side that will accept steel kleets that are connected to the main structural system. The kleets and the angles would be bolted together, creating a sheer connection. Since your facade is not load bearing, moment connections are not needed.

Apr 16, 14 1:17 am  · 
 · 
MagnumAce

hi guys, the facade is not load bearing. The reason i chose concrete is because of its continuity and it does not get hot like metal does. most importantly, i want it as plain as possible!!

Apr 16, 14 6:10 am  · 
 · 
Thecyclist

Are you Felix Candela? ...and you're asking for help?

Apr 16, 14 7:31 am  · 
 · 
OM..

If this is a school project you could just say it's in situ concrete and call it a day. There's a Japanese architect you could look at. Google his "Lavin store" for window examples, and a search for "Nakamura architect house" will show you a bellied facade. Try to find details from those projects.

Fiber reinforced concrete comes in panels so you wouldn't get a the monolithic look you're going for. You could still make something great from it though. Reference:

http://www.rieder.cc/us/en/home/

Apr 16, 14 10:02 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

have it built out of abs plastic.  then they can just 3d print it in place.  all the plumbing and electrical will be integral that way too (somehow), yet still adaptable for future reuse (somehow).  don't even need to figure out a structural system that way.  if you do it in revit, i hear there is a 'make it work' button.

Apr 16, 14 10:19 am  · 
 · 
MagnumAce

Thank you to everyone!! I will take a look at the suggested building.

Regards

Apr 16, 14 10:45 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I'd also look at precast concrete to maintain quality, color, etc..  Looks fairly simple to do it in three slabs.  And it looks repetitive so they only need one cast. Since precast also allows it to be poured in a horizontal, then set vertically, the consistency will be much better because you won't get air pockets around those perforations or cold joints between pours.  Too add to that if it's a 'real project', the time of erection is much quicker so it saves on how much time you'll be disturbing the sidewalk and all that redtape with the local jurisdiction. (prefab as much as you can for infill projects).

Apr 16, 14 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: