Archinect
anchor

PhD in Architecture without a Master

musharrat.s

Many of my friends from the Engineering background have been accepted in fully-funded PhD programs in different universities in USA right after getting their bachelor and without master degree. In most cases, they are admitted into MS leading to PhD programs which take almost 5-years to finish in general. But they often, pretty much always, manage funding for the program, so money matters are covered that way.

But as far as I have researched, I've seen the PhD programs in the schools of architecture always require a master degree even for applying for the program. Can anyone shed some light on this matter? 

Apr 15, 14 2:27 am
citizen

What do your friends say about how they got in without a masters?  Which schools are they heading to?  What programs?

Apr 15, 14 2:59 am  · 
 · 
retinald

deleted

Apr 15, 14 3:45 am  · 
 · 
3tk

In many fields the PhD is a straight shot program out of undergrad (some use masters degrees as a parachute for students who don't make it through, but have competency in practice in the field).  My assumption is that there is very little 'research' in undergraduate architecture (there definitely is the option to do research in engineering), and therefore programs want to see an MArch beforehand.  There's also a distinct possibility that they are culling out the herd as the number of openings for PhD in design is very small.

Apr 16, 14 11:27 am  · 
 · 

Are you certain it's not just a terminology thing? Arch/Eng grads in many northern European places graduate from a 3+2 program and receive a 'dip.Ing' (diploma of engineering) or 'cand.Arch' (graduate architect).

I've rarely encountered anyone who refers to their graduate degree as a masters in Europe.

Apr 16, 14 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: