Archinect
anchor

Should I study Architecture ???

hodhod

Could you give me the positives and negatives of this field ??? 

I am thinking of studying it in Politecnico di Milano, anyone studied there ? could you tell me more about it ? 

Cheers,

Adham 

Apr 12, 14 10:57 am
curtkram

you sound like a bright kid.  you could do better.

Apr 12, 14 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

if you're already asking about the positives and negatives, NO. xD

Judge for yourself.. how passionate are you?  Do you give up easily?  Do you persevere until you succeed?  Do you like challenges and constantly pushed? 

Apr 12, 14 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
siesta

I highly recommend reading "Architect? A Candid Guide to the Profession." It starts by answering why you should be an architect, then talks about why you shouldn't. It lives up to its name--it's very candid. Really helped me to decided that despite the profession's drawbacks, this was something I wanted to pursue further.

Apr 12, 14 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

Studying it is fine.  It's the "practicing" part which seems to be a challenge for many.

Apr 12, 14 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
choresi

- nope

Apr 16, 14 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
naomik

Good recommendation Siesta

Apr 17, 14 12:34 am  · 
 · 

I'd think very carefully about what specifically attracts you to the field of architecture. There are many other ways to be involved in design or construction that have lower barriers to entry and offer more financial security.

Apr 23, 14 9:34 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Positives: it's a creative endeavor (can be rewarding), you get to design places that you will get to experience (there's little that compares to that feeling), in Europe it seems to be a prestigious career, you can be changing the image of institutions and cities, sometimes feel like making the world a better place.

Negatives: clients can be stubborn and push you to make awful spaces, the work hours are long, the pay is mediocre (unless you are very successful or work in a large corporation), it's easy to get sued (at least in the US), lots of egos in the profession (so you'll run into many of them or work with/for them).

Politecnico is a great school (I think it's where Renzo Piano went to school) - I have known a few alumni from there, all with good jobs.

Apr 23, 14 9:41 am  · 
 · 

I think the field of architecture is very rewarding and stimulating. The overall experience you will gain from studio is one of the most unique. Being next to your classmates as you struggle to define, analyze, and solve your architecture problem will be a great experience. 

The negatives is that as many say, Architects do not develop until they are much older. "It is an old mans profession". The creative genius and constraints will be tough to face, but rewarding when done properly. 

The salary for new graduates isn't the best either. 

However, my Architectural education has taught me to think in a particular way, and I don't think I would trade that for anything else. Be true to who you are. Maybe take a summer introduction course to get a feel for what its like. If you do, make sure they have a Studio portion where you are required to make models and drawings.

I am not quite sure about the Licensure process in Italy, but i would check that out. Here in the US the path requires a certain amount of work experience, and passing 7 tests.

Best of Luck,

Romel
www.romelragasa.com

Apr 27, 14 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
TheMasterBuilder

Positive: You get to work in an air conditioned office in the summer time (maybe), you can call yourself an architect at parties and impress your friends (maybe)

Negative: Low salary, long hours, it will be understood that you will work unpaid overtime and accept that as part of your employment, take a new job and everything you learned is suddenly obsolete, you get paid peanuts while the principal drives around in a Bentley, you probably won't do anything worth talking about for at least 10-15 years and when you do, it ends up being something bathroom related, your degree is meaningless without experience, contractors don't take anything you do seriously, interior designers think they know more than you, engineers do what you do for half the price and get twice the jobs, chances are you'll have to cover up something someone did illegally at least once, clients will threaten you with lawsuits, you will run into old friends from high school who didn't go to college and are surprised that they make more than you, and lastly, architects don't retire, they die.

If I'm wrong about any of these, please feel free to call me out on it.

Apr 28, 14 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: