Archinect
anchor

Graduate Programs, Construction/Engineering

bjlehrer

After nearly completeing my b.arch professional degree at Carnegie Mellon University, I find that my passion for building may lie more on the end of construction than design. So, I am looking for graduate programs for students with bachelors in architecture that teach a cross between architecture and engineering with a focus on the process of construction. I know CMU has an Architectural Engineering and Construction Management masters degree, but I am also looking for other options. Anything from civil engineering, to construction management that you think I could get into with a b.arch professional degree?

Apr 19, 10 7:03 am
citizen4nr

Have you considered working in construction (as a manager or on the labor side) to see if you really are interested in that field? It might be worth it before going into a multi year program.

Apr 20, 10 12:59 am  · 
 · 
bjlehrer

I have worked a summer in NYC doing facade restoration and roofing, most of the time as a laborer on scafolding, but some days as an assitant to the project manager. Ultimately my career goals are something in design build, but I want to gain a more comprehensive understanding of how big projects are realized and the skill set that makes this possible... You mentioned a multi-year program, did you have anything in mind? CMU's program is only one extra year, but at the cost that three years would be at other schools.

Apr 20, 10 1:55 am  · 
 · 
kiehl

This is something that has interested me as well so I would be curious if anyone out there has thoughts.

I have heard of the CMU program. I am also aware that Drexel University has recently started a Masters program in Construction Management. I believe there are two tracks - development and I think actual construction management. It might be worth looking at. I did my undergrad at Drexel. Don't know anything about the new program though.

I am held back from actually pursuing this right now as I have a paying job and family so going back to school is currently not feasible.

Apr 20, 10 8:23 am  · 
 · 
citizen4nr

I'm not aware of many programs other than cmu and michigan, though I'm not sure how long the program is at michigan. Since you mentioned gaining a comprehensive understanding, I definitely recommend working first. Try looking at larger gc or cm firms for a project engineer or field engineer position. You'll have first hand experience with the entire process, and it will help reinforce what you are learning when you go back to school.

I will warn you that the construction field is definitely slow now though.

I worked as a gc/cm before going to grad school (in architecture though) and it made understanding the scope of projects of any scale much easier, not to mention construction aspects.

Apr 20, 10 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
bjlehrer

Thank you for the advice and I definitely think that that is the right thing to do, however given the times it seems like the popular decision is to avoid the job market and go back to school... I have and will continue to pursue such a position, but I have not yet had much luck. Also sometimes its hard to sort out the quality general contracting companies in a simple internet search for general contractors. Do you have any suggestions for large firms that take on challenging projects?

Apr 20, 10 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
bjlehrer

Thank you for the advice and I definitely think that that is the right thing to do, however given the times it seems like the popular decision is to avoid the job market and go back to school... I have and will continue to pursue such a position, but I have not yet had much luck. Also sometimes its hard to sort out the quality general contracting companies in a simple internet search for general contractors. Do you have any suggestions for large firms that take on challenging projects?

Apr 20, 10 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

I know the UC Boulder and UT both have those programs.. Would be great to get feeback from this thread, I'm also considering this career path since jobs in architecture suck nowadays..

Jul 16, 10 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
gresham

I was talking to someone last week (an interior designer) who is enrolled in a Masters of Construction Management program at Georgia Tech. From what she described, the program is basically grooming people to go work at very large property management/commercial RE companies like Jones Lang LaSalle and CB Richard Ellis or large construction firms (Bechtel, Skanska, etc).

Many of the people in her program have business or finance undergrad backgrounds. The focus seems to be more on high-level project management and business skills rather than technical knowledge of CD sets, which was surprising to hear. I would think that the technical knowledge from a B.Arch would be an asset in this type of program and after you graduate, while the CM master's degree would compliment your architecture knowledge with some business and project management skills.

Jul 17, 10 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

University of Oklahoma has a well respected Construction Science division in their College of Architecture. They offer a masters in construction. It is geared towards commercial construction of all types but also touches on residential-I went there for undergrad-some people went on to residential while the rest of us went into commercial construction. Richard Ryan is in charge of the masters program and he is amazing! Great program-loved it and gained a lot from it! I had numerous job offers after school (not only in Texas and Oklahoma-actually went to Atlanta after graduation)
Check it out. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Jul 18, 10 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

it seems these programs are heavy in math prerequisites, I know Im really looking into the one at CU Boulder and before even applying you need to have Linear Algebra and Differential Equations. Did you guys get that far in Arch studies, I know I didn't, highest was Analytical Geometry...I wonder if the job market for the MS in Construction Engineering and Management are better than those with MS in Arch..

Jul 18, 10 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
shrutisrikar

Hi! 

I wanted to know how the graduate program at Carnegie Mellon University's 'Architecture Engineering Construction Management' stacks up against Georgia Tech's 'Construction & Facility Management (Program Management)'.  And what about Clemson's 'Construction Science & Management'? Any comparisons?

Any help?

May 12, 16 9:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: