Archinect
anchor

Graduate school advice: USC vs UCLA?

jonc91765

Hey Archinect,

Here's yet another thread asking for grad school advice.  I've been accepted into both UCLA AUD's 3 year MArch. 1 and USC's 2 year MArch. I have a B.A. in Architecture from UC Berkeley only applied to Berkeley, UCLA, and USC, staying in California for in state tuition. 

I know that these schools are very different in their pedagogy, that UCLA's graduate program is considered better, and of course the faculty is amazing.  But at the same time, the 3 years of time and money is a bit of a put-off.  And USC's graduate program is not as well known as its undergrad, but then again it's cheaper, shorter, and there's the potential future networking.  I'm waitlisted for UC Berkeley but at this point I don't think I'll get in.  My choice before I got everything in had been UCLA, but after finding out that I'm not getting any aid besides those usual loan offers, the total cost for the 3 years ends up being higher than USC.  I honestly did not expect to get into both at the same time, as I had low expectations of myself when I applied.

I guess my biggest conflicts right now are choosing between a very innovative program with great faculty and 3 years (good for education and improving myself but bad for wallet?), or okay grad program but less time and cost with potential for job connections in southern California.  Of course, if anyone can prove my simplified assumptions wrong, I'd welcome it.  Now that it's getting to the deadline to accept I've started hesistating and panicking on the decision.  Plus I feel like an asshole to anyone on the waitlist of either program...  I realize this should be my own choice, but I'm just looking for any thoughts or advice others may have. 

Apr 11, 14 12:15 pm
dkemp

Do you have a pretty good scholarship at USC? I also got into USC and will not be attending because it is pretty expensive. I dont see how it is cheaper than UCLA, which is not a private school and would qualify you for in-state tuition. You dont get in-state tuition at USC, which is a private school. Pretty sure even with 3 years at UCLA is cheaper than 2 years at USC, unless you got a scholarship.

Apr 11, 14 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I also dont understand how USC can be cheaper than UCLA. I think you should look at the type of work you want to do too. USC is great for networking, but frankly the program is a bit meh.

Apr 11, 14 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
ROB4

Well you could save money, maybe not in tution but you could start working sooner (1yr worth salary) instead of staying an extra year in UCLA .  

Apr 11, 14 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
jonc91765

No, I didn't receive any aid from USC.  Technically, UCLA is cheaper per year, but with 3 years the total comes up about 10k higher than USC's 2 years.  And like ROB4 commented, there's the potential 1 year's salary (assuming I can get a job fast).  I guess part of me wonders if I need the help getting an architecture job fast and through the connections of USC, and am afraid of potentially wasting time in school (Silly though, I know, but I can't help but think it...)  I definitely do like UCLA's program more though.

Apr 13, 14 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
batman

whichever program you choose, make sure you get the most out of it. I mean, like, GET A LOT from it.

Apr 13, 14 11:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: