Archinect
anchor

Portfolio rework anxiety

rednotdead

Hi all,

A couple weeks back I made a thread about my rather bleak current employment situation (minimum wage, shitty bland work), and since then I've been trying to get my portfolio to a higher level of quality. 

And by "trying", I mean coming home after work and looking at my student work, and feeling despair and numbing anxiety. A number of professionals I've spoken to give a similar piece of advice - "don't put stuff in your portfolio your don't totally stand behind in". Well, the truth is I don't entirely stand behind any of my work. All my pre-thesis projects I consider to have major design or aesthetic flaws. Furthermore, many of my graphics feel crude and unrefined to me, or done in bad taste.

I get up in the mornings to get some work in - I would like to fix my old designs and remodel, rerender, and redraw them, but the task is crushing and I can't bring myself to start. I just don't have time to do "everything" (and this may very well be a bottomless process).

I need to get a set of priorities - the aspects of my portfolio which are most lacking, and start on those first. If I could get some feedback on what I have that would be really helpful. I just don't trust my own opinion anymore.

Anyone else have a similar experience? How did you cope or break through?

http://issuu.com/ollin_timm/docs/timm_portfolio_08152013b

(Apologies for the rant, I'm really in a rut)

Apr 10, 14 12:21 pm
x-jla

you are never gonna find motivation do touch up old work that you don't really like in the first place.  My advice would be to do a new project that you get excited about.  If you do it wont be work anymore It will be pleasure.

Apr 10, 14 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
rednotdead

Hi jla-x, thanks for the response!

Actually just to clarify, I do like my previous projects quite a lot. It's just that they are hobbled with issues (as it is old student work after all) which would take me enormous amounts of time to fix and present adequately.

I'd really like to quit my job and spend a month or so reworking my stuff... but I'm afraid that would look bad to a new employer.

Apr 10, 14 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Break down what you'd like to accomplish into a list and just start knocking parts out.  It can be very dehabilitating to look at the big picture and all that you have to do.  It's just like designing a building, one doesn't think about all the CDs/details they'll have to draw while in SD.  Take it step by step.  Good luck! 

Apr 10, 14 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

if you feel terrible for that kind of work, some of us should go hang ourselves xDD  Are you having trouble finding employment with that portfolio?  Sure it ain't extremely creative and groundbreaking work, but you'd fit in well with most firms around today :)  It looks complete and well presented to me atleast.

Apr 10, 14 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
choresi

Haha, I feel your pain as well.  Grand ambitions, especially during the summer breaks, but anxiety often stymies it. 

Apr 10, 14 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Your work is good you will not have any issue finding work.

Apr 11, 14 9:51 am  · 
 · 
rednotdead

I think I'll be working on one of the lesser projects, and then leave it at that for now. Keep it a bit more manageable.

How do you guys feel about quitting work to focus on one's portfolio? How bad would it sound to say "I left my current position because I wanted to focus on a job search?" It seems like that would sound as if I can't manage my time well enough to do both at once (which just so happens to be the case...)

Apr 12, 14 2:54 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

TBH, don't sweat your student work so much. First of all, it's a nice portfolio. No employer if going to expect student work that has fully worked out solutions. Second of all, after a year or so of working, your student work won't matter. I would say, stick it out in the professional world and learn as much as you can. If you really, really feel like you want to augment your portfolio, take on some competitions on the side.

Jan 5, 18 8:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: