Archinect
anchor

Archip and BAC information

wui311

Greetings,

I got accepted into Boston Arc. College's bachelor degree, and also in Architectural institute of Prague. I was wondering if anyone can share me what was the experience like in any of the 2 schools, and what are some pros and cons.

I couldn't find out much information about Archip, and It will be a great help if anyone can give me information about it. It can be experience and how was your life like after graduating from any of those college.

Thank you.

Apr 8, 14 10:02 pm
Medians

The BAC has open admissions and will accept anyone willing to pay, they also have a terrible graduation rate: 23% http://www.the-bac.edu/about-the-bac/bac-in-brief

What the BAC can offer your is a professional degree in architecture accredited by NAAB so if you did make it through the 7.5 year program (which the vast majority do not) you will end with a B.,Arch and could become licensed in the US.

But the reality is you could do a 4 year program and then do an M.Arch in less time then it would take you to complete the BAC's B.Arch program as it is part time. Look at the work happening in the school's you can see students portfolio's on issuu and see what appeals to you. 

As someone who has been to the BAC for 4 years before transferring out, I would not recommend it, there is a consensus even among the current students that it is a very poor education, students are not happy there, you will not get a college experience, you will not get any studio culture since they do not have dedicated studio spaces and the buildings have limited hours, you work from home, you will not produce meaningful work, studio is only once per week for 3 hours so you have limited networking and social connections and virtually no one on one with your instructor. 

Look at the 100% acceptance and 23% graduation, it is on par with most for profit private scam schools in the states.

Jun 10, 14 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
I read another thread on whether someone should go to BAC or another school. A particular comment caught my attention. The commentor told the person to STAY AWAY from BAC. He spoke of a person who's portfolio he had seen from BAC and he said it was terrible. So that tells you what kind of education you may get there... I have no personal experience of it though, but based on that, and the 23% graduation rate, and the fact you get to go to Prague, I would probably go for that.
Jun 22, 14 11:22 pm  · 
 · 

I'm currently enrolled at BAC in their Distance Master's of Architecture program with only 2 semesters left before graduation.  My feelings about the school and program is very mixed but I want to give advice to those seriously thinking about enrolling.  A quick background about myself I came from an architecture background going into the program.  I attended Kent State University for my B.S. in Architecture degree which is a very very good architecture school so I came in the program with an advantage I think.  The only reason I didn't attend Kent grad program was due to my twin brother dying during finals so I took the time  to be with family and the school told me to come back the following year.  As fate had it I landed a salary paying job at a firm and didn't want to give it up so I did research and made calls and the BAC was mentioned.  This was a program where I could get an accredited degree as well as keep my job which was a win/win for me.you do have to go to the school as a distance student once a semester for a week for something called Intensive.  The intensive is just that INTENSE! You don't have much time if any to explore the city you will be at BAC 90% of the time the other 10% in the hotel.  You have to submit a portfolio for your submission. The thing is it is open enrollment but based on the quality of the portfolio as well as your previous degree you can come on semester 1 or semester 3 a difference being in school a whole extra year.  I came in as semester 3 there is a total 7 semester is the Distance M arch program.

PROS -

1. You can work while in the program. Teachers are very flexible understanding and easy to talk to if you communicate your issues just don't over do it. 

2. The school is gaining a reputation in a good way IF you graduate.  Firms have heard about the program it's gaining a reputation and emerging. (Distance M Arch program that is)

3. Great location where you can meet great people.  you have farmers markets near by, great restaurants, parks and for the intensive you meet great people.

CONS -

1. For you guys with an architecture background the open enrollment will annoy you.  It feels like your advanced in class with people who are just clueless and only got in because of open enrollment. Some people come in not understanding how rigorous and time consuming our field is.  The Distance M Arch program is mostly if not all people working in firms and that have a background in architecture so this program would be for those with an background seeking a masters or licensing.

2. Will pass anyone for the money. As an online student I get frustrated when a person who never post, never update work or has bad work automatically get through to the next level.  ultimately if hurts the student but it hurts the school as well. it's discouraging and essentially this is an accredited program. I have seen less talented people skate through the program and to be honest it discourages the other students. Hey everyone in this program works, most have children and it's not fair when you can break your back and do good work and get the same grade or a slightly better grade than someone who doesn't care.  Seems like the program being new is just happy to be getting the money that they don't care.

3. You have to have a job!  This is a pro for me personally but some still have problems finding work and lets be honest those with no architecture background unless you have connections you are set up to fail.  I have seen BAC let student go to the next semester with no work so i dont know how strict they are or how they go about making that student complete their work I just know working and school go hand in hand in this program and they dont place you with a job especially if you are a Distance student.

4. tuition is STEEP!  And it sucks because you arent on campus and this can put you in a financial bind.

My final advice if you are someone with an architecture background, already work at an architecture firm with a bachelors and want to go back for your masters to sit for exams THIS IS THE SCHOOL FOR YOU! Most of the time the non architects who think architecture is about drawing pretty pictures will be in for a rude awakening and not make it to the end anyway. The program has gotten better over time and will continue to work out kinks as the years go by but I've only been in the program 2 years and will have my masters soon so its worth it.   For students that don't have an architecture background I just would not waste my time.  The school just wants your money. Yes they accepted you but think about the real world.  If you don't know computer programs like Revit, autocad hell sketchup dont enroll, if you dont have connections with firms or access to a job, dont enroll and realize becoming an architect is more than just your degree.  You need to complete IDP hours and you need  to be full time employee at a firm. 

In Closing ONLY DO THE DISTANCE MARCH PROGRAM!!! Doing any other program is not worth it.  Who in their right mind would join a program that takes 7 years to get a Bachelors degree?! I'm done with IDP, I work for one of the biggest firms in the country making a competitive salary just turned 30 and JUST WANT TO GET LICENSED!

Jun 26, 15 10:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: