Archinect
anchor

Documentation of architectural stamp regulations

snick17

I'm an architect in CA with a client who insists that I need to sign and stamp her Schematic drawings. This is the end of the work with her, we are not continuing on to the CD phase, and I'm looking for official language somewhere that explains to her the stamp and signature are only for permit drawings. I've checked the Architectural Practice Act, and it doesn't mention anything. If you have info that could help, I'd appreciate it.

Apr 8, 14 8:33 pm
accesskb

just make up a date stamp and be done with it xD

Apr 8, 14 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

what a tard, she probably wants to move on without your services and try to get a permit and build the project.  classic.

Apr 8, 14 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

You're the architect, i.e. the professional.  She's not.  Just tell her you won't do it because it's not standard practice and your liability is all based on you following standard practice.  I have frequently shut down people who weren't owed drawings but wanted them - like subs - by telling them my professional liability doesn't allow it.

Does your contract with her say you will stamp anything?

Apr 9, 14 8:38 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Why do you have to explain it to her? If you stamp a construction set, you are releasing it for construction and you are assuming all the responsibility. You make the call! This being the schematic set, it is nowhere near ready for construction and life safety of others is on your shoulders.

An architect does not only stamp permit drawings, we stamp statements, addenda and many other things a professional needs to approve. You are vouching the accuracy of something that you had direct supervision of.

Apr 9, 14 8:52 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

You can stamp a napkin if you want but I don't think the local building department would accept that. Either the client thinks schematic is the full scope of what an architect does or is trying to get a deal on a filing set. In my experience I have seen what I call schematics signed and sealed but they meet the minimum filing requirements for a job application for permitting based on local adopted building codes. It sounds to me like the services were not fully understood by both parties.

Apr 9, 14 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Well, she may have read and misunderstood the Practice Act requirements, which I think you've seen:

§ 5536.1 Signature and Stamp on Plans and Documents; Unauthorized 
Practice; Misdemeanor 
(a) All persons preparing or being in responsible control of plans, specifications, 
and instruments of service for others shall sign those plans, specifications, 
and instruments of service and all contracts therefore, and if licensed under 
this chapter shall affix a stamp, which complies with subdivision (b), to those 
plans, specifications, and instruments of service, as evidence of the person's 
responsibility for those documents. Failure of any person to comply with this 
subdivision is a misdemeanor punishable as provided in Section 5536. This 
section shall not apply to employees of persons licensed under this chapter 
while acting within the course of their employment 

It does not clarify that these requirements apply only to permit and construction drawings, although that is ordinary practice.  To ensure you are in the clear, I would send an email requesting clarification from the CAB.  If she makes you stamp them, you can get yourself clear by also noting "Schematic Plans: Not for Permit or Construction" on each sheet.

Apr 10, 14 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: