Archinect
anchor

Firm offering ARE help?

Hi all;

I've just been offered a position with a firm that I most probably accept, but I was  wondering about something. After I asked I was told that they do not cover/reimburse the cost of the ARE's or the LEED AP exams. Now with LEED not being what it used to be that doesn't surprise me (I'm a GA, but I really should've become an AP like 5 or 6 years ago when it "mattered") but I was under the impresion that covering the ARE is a fairly common benefit (or at least reimbursing you the cost of each exam you passed). Is this pie in the sky thinking on my part? Please let me know what you think, as this is not something I saw in the Archinect salary poll. 

For reference the firm is a mid-sized (55 people) corporate firm, in the Pacific NW. I'm 31 with 5 years experience and an M.ARCH. 

Thanks! 

Apr 8, 14 3:48 pm
LITS4FormZ
About 70% of firms reimburse ARE costs(from 2012 DI survey).
Apr 8, 14 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
file

Firms seem to be of two different minds on this topic.

Some believe your license is a personal responsibility - like your degree - and the credential is so portable as to be of marginal long term benefit to the firm. Others are willing to provide some economic support for the ARE (and LEED) but increasingly such firms ask to be reimbursed (on a pro-rata basis) if you resign from the firm before the end of a certain period of time - typically 1 year post-completion.

I think it important to note that firms increasingly are expected to undertake extensive training of recent graduates to enable them to be productive in an office environment. Largely, this is because most architecture programs include little, if any, 'vocational' training in the curriculum. With the passage of time, more firms have become less inclined to make huge investments in training and credentials for employees who could walk out the door at any moment.

Apr 8, 14 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

like most other employment perks, ARE reimbursement is quickly becoming a thing of the past.  

I paid for all of my exams out of pocket, they are like $200 a pop, if you are on the fast track to getting your license, that shouldn't put you off at all.  Just do it.

Apr 8, 14 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I've noticed that a lot of the firms offering reimbursement for the ARE also offer bonuses when you get licensed. That's pretty cool.

I interviewed with something like 15 firms recently and all but three of them offered something for ARE. And one of those three was a two person firm.

Apr 9, 14 3:24 am  · 
 · 

Thanks all. I just had an interview with another firm who also does not pay for the ARE, although they do provide study prep materials and are cool with you taking time to study and take the tests (something I believe firm A does as well).  In the end i did end up taking the first job offer, I guess paying for the ARE is something that is not common here, while I know that is it standard in other smaller markets. Oh well. 

Apr 9, 14 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
jarvvy

Let's say the cost of taking the exams is $1,470. If their offer was this much more than other offers then it doesn't matter if they give you the money in your salary or specifically for the ARE's. You could also factor in the costs of the exams when you ask for your next raise. Firms should want you to get licensed, they can charge a higher billable rate.

Apr 11, 14 10:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: