Archinect
anchor

KU vs MassArt vs RISD

awwwdri

Hi all,

Tis the season of choosing colleges. I'm planning on going into architecture and have three good options for schools. I've been accepted to University of Kansas, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, and Rhode Island School of Design. For all three schools I have about 3,000 dollars left in tuition to pay each year. Basically it comes down to three factors. First, I live in Kansas so cost of living would be way less at KU (plus I got accepted into scholarship halls which makes room/board/food about 6-7,000 dollars instead of the 13,000 at MassArt and RISD). Second, KU has a 5 year masters program for architecture whereas the other two are 4 year bachelor program which would cut out grad school expenses all together. Thirdly I have lived in Kansas my whole life, and it would be great to leave for college... 

I've read that RISD doesn't give out many scholarships, and that if one gets a large scholarship, like I have, then they should snatch it up. I know RISD is well renowned, but is it worth the extra money to travel between Kansas and Rhode Island and the significant amount of extra money for room/board? I'm really torn between schools. If anyone has an opinion or insight into each school's program it would be really helpful. Thanks!

Apr 8, 14 2:29 pm
Beepbeep

RISD would be great. KU is a good school close, however I think architecture in an ART school context is great,plus at RISD you would be able to dabble in the other arts as well. Everyone I have ever met with a Barch from RISD has been quite successful, try out the east coast you will enjoy it. 

Apr 8, 14 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

RISD all the way, simply because I went there haha. Don't know much about KU, although I met one friend from KU in gradschool, and he was quite good. I'll copy and paste my comment from another post; hope it helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to RISD, and I know nothing about the other schools, so I'll just talk about RISD here. It being one of the best art schools in the world itself is a big prestige I think. It really depends on how you think of architecture, but if you think that architecture is more about creative design, you can't go wrong with RISD. You will spend the first year in the foundation studies working like a dog on drawing/2d/3d design classes, which will build--in my opinion--a strong basis for your design work. After the first year, you will need to work even harder in studio going through core and option studios. 

When I was a freshmen at RISD, it was noted as the school with the most workload in the nation, with MIT marking second place. It is a very rigorous and creative environment with exposure to all kinds of designers and artists. Your concern of networking can pretty much be solved through connections with Brown, if you decide to take classes there or party a lot.

RISD grads are respected pretty much everywhere in the creative field, and students also make it to top-tier graduate schools including the GSD, YSOA, MIT, GSAPP... every year. There is a very strong group of architecture faculty (although some are not) and the department is known for its strong connections with the GSD if you're interested in gradschool.

Cons: Too much work, and it's extremely difficult to achieve high GPA's in the architecture program. Providence could be a nice city for some, but too small for others.

Also, the school's not going to train you as an AutoCad or Rhino genius. If you are interested in digital tools/production, beyond a certain level, you should pretty much teach yourself. Although this could also be a pro, since it's going to teach you how to think like a designer better than any other undergraduate programs in my opinion.

Hope it helps, and do understand that this is a biased opinion. 

Apr 8, 14 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
awwwdri

I think RISD is where I'd really like to go given the choice. I am definitely interested in the artistic side of architecture and how it mixes with  Another major factor is that tuition has gone up 3,000 from last year. Expecting that same increase over 4 years could end with a 30ish thousand debt due to the tuition increase. Just a estimate of debt going to RISD after 4 years could be 60,000 dollars. Is this an acceptable amount of debt for Barch?

Also, I've read about people negotiating scholarships and stuff, but from your experience, does this actually happen? I  haven't heard of anyone doing such things (unless an athlete).

Apr 9, 14 12:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: