Archinect
anchor

Need advice deciding between SCI-Arc and Syracuse University for M.Arch I

mwpetri

Hi,

I got accepted with a scholarship to Syracuse University, and I am accepted with only loans to SCI-Arc. I come from a lower-income background, so money is always a consideration in making these decisions, but I was wondering if anyone on here knew people who went to SCI-Arc, or Syracuse University, and could tell me about the program outcomes? Because at the end of the day, I will have to take out some loans for either school and I'm wondering if the program at SCI-Arc is worth the extra expense. Also, in regard to program outcomes, what percent of graduates from either school land decent enough job post-graduation to repay the loans. 

Thanks in advance for any advice, thoughts, or data you can share!

Apr 8, 14 2:25 pm
Cizz

I hear that Syracuse has a good undergrad program, however the Graduate program is not highly regarded in comparison. But I dont know much about Syracuse so Ill let someone else tell you about the graduate program. 

I know at Sci-arc there is alot more exposure to firms since its in La.  Alot of professors from UCLA and surrounding schools also come to critique students work throughout the year.   In addition, professors from UCLA like Thome Mayne and Jason Payne often teach similar studios or ideas from UCLA at studios at Sci-arc.  Some graduates from Sci-Arc upon finishing their thesis land jobs on the spot either teaching(erin besler now at UCLA) or at firms due to the amount of exposure they get.  If you havent gone to a graduate thesis event at Sci-Arc I would highly recommend it.  There is this energetic architecture community not only in SCI-Arc but in La in general since there are many practitioners and faculty in the area( USC, UCLA, SCI-Arc, Woodbury) that all mingle in some way or the other, and not to mention the networking events that they as a whole put together. 

Good luck 

Apr 8, 14 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: