Archinect
anchor

Renovation of Family Member's House

grneggandsam

My uncle wants to expand his kitchen and basement and has been coming to me for help.  I have 2 years of experience in the field (1 year in  a small design/build firm).  The work consists of adding a new footer/piers, two floors of ~200 SF each, and a roof, along with mechanical electrical and plumbing.  We have gotten various quotes from GCs in the areas (ranging from 70k - 140k).  I have been reluctant to mention it to my boss because I'm afraid of the dynamic it would create and how much our fee would be.  As a result, I've even thought about becoming licensed as a GC and trying to oversee the project myself.  I think I could do the job for 50k-70k if I did.

I was wondering, has anyone ever encountered this sort of situation before?  What advice do you have?  I know the permit would require stamps from an engineer and a licensed GC, Plumber, mechanical, and electrical to do the job along with drawings. 

Apr 6, 14 1:25 pm
wurdan freo

the problem with working with family and friends  is, if the project goes bad, you have to be prepared that the relationship may  be terminated or forever strained. Getting sued by your Uncle makes for an interesting Thanksgiving dynamic.

That being said, if you are competent enough to do the job, have your uncle pull the permit and hire you to be a construction manager. (You will have to check with the local authority, but most allow a homeowner to pull the permit) Let him know he will have to purchase builders risk insurance and general liability insurance because he could be liable for any injuries sustained on his property by workers. Or get your own license and insurance and be liable for that yourself. You will then have the responsibility to generate accurate measured drawings, vet all the subs,  hire structural engineer, design the addition, apply for permit with the city, define scope of work,negotiate bids, write all contracts, award work, supervise the work, supervise payment of work, collect lien waivers, insure all work is done to plans and code, make project schedule, make sure subs show up when they are supposed too. make sure subs finish when they are supposed too, make sure all subcontracted work is coordinated and properly sequenced, coordinate inspections, make sure job site is safe from the public, make sure the existing home is protected when the tie in occurs, get certificate of occupancy and provide a 1-3 year warranty on work you self perform or ensure that people you hire provide as well. 

Not difficult if you have several projects under your belt, but could be tough learning curve for first project. 

Apr 6, 14 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
stone

Are you planning to quit your job if you do this ?  

I'm thinking this is going to take a LOT of time - much of it during the work day.

If you don't quit your job, I doubt you can keep this project a secret from your employer for long - how are you going to manage that relationship then? 

Apr 6, 14 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

I've thought about quitting.  I've gotten really frustrated lately because of some conversations in which my boss was very condescending for trivial things (another reason I'm not inclined to mention the project to him).  things are slow at the office so I feel like I'm in a dead end and not getting any meaningful experience.  I applied for another job and have an interview soon.  Not sure where I'd go if I did the project in full.  I'd like to look into working with a design-builder that is actively involved in doing modern commercial/residential renovations.  My current job is mostly work with the local government and the occasional repair job from a wealthy client.  We don't advertise much and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Apr 6, 14 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: