Archinect
anchor

gsd need-based grants

bellysunk

is there a cap to need-based grants (tier 1 and 2)? does anyone at the gsd actually get fully funded (either tuition, or tuition + living expenses) based on need?

Apr 5, 10 2:34 pm
jiveonmyness

i was researching this today....i dont remember the exact numbers, but it looks like the tier 1 cap is about 8500 and the tier 2 is around 18000? tier 1 is apparently only based on the students need, whereas the tier 2 is based on parental information.

i gotta find a way to get a little bit more money from them, i hate this money thing...

Apr 5, 10 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

me and a few of my buddies were def in the poor group when we were there. most of us got like 7-10k of grants first yr, until they bumped things up utnil 4th yr where they paid almost everything. but pls keep in mind i started school back in 96 so tuition was something like 25k/ yr. cant remember for sure.

yr parents financial strength is huge. If they are v strong but u are independent sometimes you might get stuck. even if u say u are on yr own

Apr 5, 10 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

Just remember that even with the maximum grant award you will still be taking out loans in excess of 100k for four years.

Apr 6, 10 9:45 am  · 
 · 
bellysunk

i feel you, jiveonmyness. i'm gonna try to squeeze out as much money as i can via matching and then some!

greenlander, that is comforting to know. yea tuition's gone up a bit since the '96...it's 37K now. pretty ridiculous i have to say.

98349083490413, did you go to the gsd?

Apr 6, 10 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
liwennette

bellysunk - i am pretty much in the same boat - will be trying to negotiate

do you mind me asking, what offers or rather schools are you using to 'match'? i hear that some offers are obviously more 'valuable' then others... the only other school i got into is MIT and i'm not sure if that will help me

Apr 6, 10 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
bellysunk

praxis:
yea, MIT here, too. yale's offering about the same. so really, it's all i got. ha. but i was reading through the aid booklet, and it said that gsd doesn't match... i don't know if that's in there to fend off potential annoyances, but is there any truth to this? can anyone speak from experience?

Apr 6, 10 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
bellysunk

also, has anyone negotiated for more than the cap allowance in grants at the gsd?

Apr 6, 10 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

Belly, I did go to the GSD and did take the maximum grant award. I tried to negotiate more and was told that was the limit, they will be happy to up your loans. I think coming out of grad school with 100k+ of debt when the economy was rolling was a gamble, right now its just foolish, so try to find ways to keep that debt down.

Apr 7, 10 11:48 am  · 
 · 
jiveonmyness

ok i think its bad that we all have probably the same offers from mit and all want to get the gsd to match....grrrrr. but honestly its a huge effing factor, im so confused.

Apr 7, 10 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
kishkash

if it's cheaper, then choose MIT!

Apr 8, 10 12:46 am  · 
 · 
direshter

Can you tell me how much is the maximum funding at GSD please? 

Jun 29, 16 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Some are on full ride.

Jun 30, 16 11:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: