Archinect
anchor

Architect's Will to Train

BulgarBlogger

So I don't understand this idea that others on this forum have suggested, that architects simply "don't have the time" to train their employees, at least properly. I was fortunate to work in a small office where I had an opportunity to provide guidance to several of my peers who had less experience than me. I completed my work and at the end of each day or at the beginning of each day, I would meet with them and spend 1 hour teaching them about how to read construction documents, how to annotate, and whatever else they needed to do to accomplish the tasks they needed to for the day. Even if this meant that I had to spend an extra hour in the office, I did it because I knew this will benefit everyone in the office. I didn't get paid extra for doing it; I just did it because it was the right thing to do. 

So I fundamentally disagree with the fact that Architects "don't have time" to train their employees. I believe they simply "don't want to" or are feel they are above it all; that once they have their license they are somehow exempt from giving back. As one of my employers once told me: "we are not a school..." I am not saying of course that everyone is like this or that there are no architects that feel the same way about training as me. However, for me, teaching or training someone in an office environment is purely about will and not about time. 

I know plenty of people who have super packed schedules. Is it tiring? Yes... but its very fulfilling... Many people prefer to eat out for example because they simply "don't have time to cook" yet many of these same people would agree: "there's nothing better than a home-cooked meal!"

What do you folks think on the subject?

Apr 3, 14 5:37 pm
Roshi

You get a cookie.

I am fortunate enough to have 2 bosses who take time out of their day to teach me as well (and have been doing so for the past 2 years). I learned more from them in 3 months than I have during my 4 years in college. I know I will aspire to be like them if (when) I direct my own firm someday.

Apr 3, 14 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

You know, another thing I hate was the hierarchical configuration at larger firms. You are on a "need to know" basis and rarely get the full picture of a project. At a smaller firm, you can manage a project all by yourself and learn from the experience or lack of experience (through your mistakes). You can get a lot more out of working one on one with an architect in a small office than as a draftsman at a large firm. Sure, you can say you've worked on big projects, but at the end of the day, clients pay for your knowledge rather than what you can spin on a piece of paper. 

Apr 3, 14 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

If you train others, and give them the tools they need to succeed, I would think they would be obliged to do you favors in return.  If you are condescending to others, and build up resentment in them using them only for their labor - they will have no loyalty.  It pays to be good.

Apr 3, 14 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

You'd have to be lucky to have someone willing to train you and put up with you inexperience and mistakes.  These days its all about money, meeting deadlines etc.  I've had multiple internship experiences but what turned me off about this profession is that most whom I've worked with had this attitude of, 'we hired you to make our work easier and expect you to know a heck lot already, not to train you or put up with your mistakes.'

Apr 3, 14 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

As a result of the recession and firms trimming the fat, I think it was hard to justify hiring somebody that needed training for the past 5 years or so, when they could just get somebody super qualified on the cheap that could just drop in a position and do work. 

That being said, I worked at a few different firms where I was in the position to train some right-out-of-school employees and I thought it was fun.  I agree that it is important and is a way to give back to the profession. 

Apr 3, 14 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Many should be mentors are baby-boomers, a group not known for their generosity and empathy. I found that most people that are either older or younger than those in their 50's and 60's don't have as big of a problem with helping others. Sucks that entry into the profession is based on getting mentoring for those that have to follow an older generation with an epidemic of selfishness. 

Apr 4, 14 10:35 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Leaders lead.  So, when I'm sketching up some detail for a young architect, I also make sure he/she has a firm understanding of why it's done that way and purpose of each component.  Based on my experience, spending that extra time does two things:  Helps them feel like they actually got something out of doing this, and... when they really start understanding, creating similar details themselves (which save me time sketching them up).

Apr 4, 14 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: