Archinect
anchor

Online portfolio copyright question

sdermot

A friend asked me this question recently and I didn't know how to answer her.  She's about to graduate from college and is applying for jobs.  In addition to the standard paper portfolio that she would bring to the interview, she is setting up a website that would display her work.  Can she include work that she did in an office?  Does she have to get permission from the firms that she worked for to post pictures of projects she worked on?

Apr 3, 14 2:18 pm
Bench

In short - yes, you need permission.

Mainly because 99% of the people who are finishing undergrad will have only worked 1-2 summer positions during that time - sure, you can be productive in that position, but you don't hold any real power or knowledge of the projects you worked on. I approached one of my bosses about including a pair of projects in my portfolio when I finished at the firm, and I was surprised to find out that one of them was absolutely not to be shown/published anywhere due to the clients' wishes (the client was wealthy and had no want/intention of showing any of the work he had commissioned).

My point is, she won't know whether it is appropriate or not to include, so she NEEDS to ask first.

Apr 3, 14 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: