Archinect
anchor

Rating in an Electrical Room

I'm currently doing construction admin on a project that I took over after construction began and has already been thru permit. They are actually nearly completed w/ construction. It's just been brought to my attention that the room that houses most of the electrical panels was never specified to be rated (and has been approved by local permit), and it has no ceiling called out. The building does have a sprinkler system throughout, including Electrical rooms.

In my previous experience, all electrical rooms require a rating, even if only 1-hour. However, this one seems to have made it through permit without. Does the sprinkler system allow us to drop the 1-hour rating down to smoke protection only? I figure I still need to direct them to add at least a smoke tight ceiling... any help I can get would be great!

Apr 4, 14 9:58 am
TED

Look in the build code, perhaps? 

These things change per code/occupancy - locality and are not universals.

Apr 4, 14 11:34 am  · 
 · 
gruen
And is also based on the size of the equipment. See the NEC as well as building code.
Apr 4, 14 11:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: