Archinect
anchor

Question about M.Arch vs. work experience -

Rennie

I was recently accepted to a few M.Arch programs, and would like some feedback from those of you with experience. I am tied to my location due to my husband's job (he is the breadwinner, and his company moved us to Baltimore 2 years ago), so I need to decide between University of MD and Morgan State University.

- Both programs are NAAB accredited 

- Same scholarship packages / cost

- UMD is traditional (M-F) and I would have to quit my job 

- MSU is non-trad (evening classes) and I could bank IDP hours while I'm in school

I'm having a difficult time deciding whether to choose the program that is virtually unheard of outside the Baltimore / Washington / Philadelphia region (that would be MSU), or choose the slightly better program (that would be UMD) and forgo all the tenure I have built at my current job. Can anyone weigh in on what may be better longterm? I'd love advice from employers / educators / alums. 

Thanks!

Apr 3, 14 8:44 am
Volunteer

If you go to Morgan State in the evenings while remaining employed and at the end of your schooling can't get an acceptable position in architecture you will still have your current job and years more seniority and retirement funding and savings. You can't move to an out of area gig anyway because of your husband's job, so I would go with Morgan State.

Apr 3, 14 9:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: