Archinect
anchor

B.Arch - Pratt, USC or Virginia Tech? Please help!!!!

Satsuki

Pratt, USC, Virginia Tech: I got accepted to these three schools as a freshman, but I am not sure about which school to go.

I read a lot of postings; I also asked some friends who were in Architecture major what they heard about these schools, but I still cannot make up my mind yet.

It seems like both Pratt and USC emphasize a lot on designing, but I haven't heard so much about the emphasis of VT.

Pratt gives me scholarship per year if I can keep my grades. I read an article online said that it is easy to get scholarship in the school of Architecture in USC, is it true? What about VT? Does it provide scholarship for international students?

Does a student in architecture program have time to go studying abroad? I really want to visit some other countries, but someone told me that it was hard for an architecture-major student to go. I am not sure whether that is true.

I believe all these three schools have really strong architecture programs, yet I am not sure which one would be more suited for me. I will go visiting their campus during my Easter break, but I still want to hear more advice from more people.  Also, I am not really sure about whether to major in architecture, landscape architecture or interior design yet. To be honest, I love them all.

Please please help me here.

Apr 2, 14 6:21 pm
HeyImNew

This is what I would tell prospective students, if all the schools are about the same level then pick the school base on 

1. financial aid.

and

2. location/ weather.

Im currently studying arch at USC, and I do not know much about the other schools. USC is great, you can't go wrong with USC. What country are you from? Our student body is so diverse, you will meet the world at USC. I think there are more international students in my year than US students.. that's how diverse it is. it may not be more, but it seems to be at least. I didn't really count.

Who ever that told you an architecture student can't study abroad doesn't know what she/he talking about. USC has so many study abroad programs, they have it in the fall, the spring, and the summer, and its all architecture study abroad programs! so what you'll do is you will have studio and other classes abroad, so it will be like taking your regular classes but you'll be in another country. Bottom line is, you will have time to study abroad, so dont worry about it. 

I agree with you that all 3 schools are very strong, but if you are an international study, you probably will want to be in NY or LA, you'll be miserable in Virginia, its not a place where will suites you as an international student. I may be wrong but that is just my opinion. I have a friend that goes to Pratt, and she loves it. Pratt is a lot more artsy and very theoretical, because it is ultimately an art school. USC is a lot more balanced, although we are heavy on design. USC is a university, which enables you have more options in terms of classes and lots of minors that you can choose from.

You said that you dont know which to major, well, USC does not have interior design, and i think landscape architecture is only a minor and graduate level. so yeah..

My home is in philadelphia, but i chose to come to LA because Pratt didn't give me enough financial aid., otherwise, i would be in NY right now.  I have to say, in terms of location, I love east coast a lot more than LA, I love being in NY, its such an amazing city. you have everything in one place.  NY is so diverse, and LA is also diverse. NY is a vertical city, La is a horizontal city ( which require you to drive everywhere). It can be a hassle when you want to go places if you dont have a car. each city will have its own unique culture and environment. If you can, you need to visit NY and LA. I am sure you will fall in love in NY more because of its beauty. I have to say, if you let me choose NY or LA, I would pick NY. that is just me tho. you may have to experience it yourself to know. HOWEVER, you will not regret USC. 

let me know if you have any questions... 

Good luck choosing. 

Apr 5, 14 5:18 am  · 
 · 
maimaikk

hey Satsuki, 

I too got accepted to Pratt with scholarship (I'm an international student as well ). I decided on Pratt in the end since it's in NY, it has a strong architecture program in an art school and a study abroad program in Rome ( a semester during the fourth year i think :D)

pretty much everything I wanted but I was just a bit reluctant before since the school is in Brooklyn. Have you visited Pratt's campus yet ? If you have, I'd love to hear your opinion about it since I can only see the school through pictures and videos online. 

After reading your thread I see you and I have things in common haha I love landscape and interior design too, but then after thinking about what to major in for a while, I thought since architecture is the base, if I can successfully finish this course, i can go on and take a master degree or just a short course in the other two fields of architecture. so the five year of b.arch will serve as ground knowledge :D 

Good luck choosing ! 

Apr 20, 14 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: