Archinect
anchor

Portfolio requirement for a non architecture background to a MArch program

an_nie

Hi there, 

I am in the process of working on my portfolio for the 2015 round of applications to Canadian and American MArch programs. My undergrad is in Global Development Studies (combination of anthropology, international relations and economics), but I have done a summer program in urban design at Berkeley and have experience working for architectural firms. I have been doing some extended studies courses at a local art college, just  trying to get my drawing, painting and computer graphic skills up to par, but i'm starting to get really nervous that it won't cut it.

So in other words, what are three year MArch programs looking for in their applicants portfolios ?  

Apr 2, 14 5:07 pm
retinald

Just assemble something in the meantime and come back during the fall when these questions consolidate into a critique thread.

Apr 3, 14 12:47 am  · 
 · 
no_form
What prompted you to want to do an M.arch? What's your definition of architecture? Have you researched what the future of architecture will be in the next 10-20 years?
Apr 3, 14 2:37 am  · 
 · 
Rennie

I was just accepted to a few M.Arch programs from a non-architecture background. I had a very candid conversation with the head of one architecture department who told me that I should submit development drawings of everything I have ever made - he said the finished work means nothing if those who evaluate it don't see how the ideas developed over time. Even if you have to go back and develop drawings for your ideas, it will be worth it. 

Apr 3, 14 8:27 am  · 
 · 

Try to show work which is conceptually strong. Don't worry about having architectural projects, since you don't come from an architectural background (they will probably only weaken your portfolio), UNLESS you have relevant drawings/models which you want to show from your internships - highlighting that work experience would be valuable, also maybe include one project from your urban design course at Berkeley, it shows an interest. focus on creating a really strong layout and graphic design - this can be a really good indication of both your aesthetic sensibilities and attention to detail, most schools review so many portfolios that this can really be a deciding factor between in and out. good luck. 

Apr 3, 14 9:57 am  · 
 · 
siesta

Make your non-architecture background an asset. How can your knowledge of global development show through in the work you present in your portfolio? What point of view do you bring to the table that emerges from your background? I think you can transform that background into a really strong application.

They aren't looking to see how advanced your skills are with different media (sketching, digital modeling, photoshop, etc.), but what you can do with the skills you have. Don't put sketches in just to show you know how to sketch, etc. More than anything, they are trying to figure out how you think, how you approach problems, and are looking for you to show a point of view.

Portfolios vary wildly, especially those from non-architecture backgrounds. I highly recommend visiting schools and asking to see portfolios of students who were accepted. I did that and it really helped.

Apr 3, 14 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: