Archinect
anchor

Letter of Intent Feedback

Anthropologist

Hi there,

I have attached the final draft of this past year's  letter of intent.

Basically, I wanted to show, that since discovering this passion (at career discovery) I have not stopped developing myself. 

I have interned with a landscape architect, worked with urban planners, met with several architects....etc.

i would love to know whether or not I am on the right track. What is missing? What impression do you get? What should i remove, add...

Also, my GPA is not amazing, just under 3, should I be addressing this in my letter?

Let me know your thoughts,

Thank you in advance.

Anthropologist.

Mar 31, 14 3:43 pm
XXYYZZ

i think you should show how anthropological theory influenced your thinking about architecture. like all schools, the gsd is interested in how you think first and foremost.

i would shy away from saying i "love" architecture or have a "deep interest" in architecture. That is already evident from that fact you want to spend 3.5 to 4 years studying it. Instead, you should really start talking about what architecture means to you. What is architecture? Can you even define it?

Mar 31, 14 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
retinald

Errors and somewhat sloppy syntax, overall impression of haste and lack of editing. Hope this wasn't the actual one sent out.

Too disjointed overall. It's as if you typed bullet points then expanded them without much thought and inserted what you think the ad com wants to hear. A few hooks unsupported by specifics then repeated again without specific details. Can't tell what you really want to do in architecture--don't skirt around purpose or intent by being vague or overly broad. Clear, bold statements with concrete examples. Quality paragraphs over what reads like a resume rundown. What's driving you? What keeps you going two years in and burned out? What can you offer besides being a good student with some initial experience? What does it all mean in the end, after school and tears in the future?

It's as much a quest of further understanding yourself as it is for them. The letter reads like an undergrad essay. Figured at this point, you ought to be a lot more focused on something since after this degree, it likely is your set career path. Take the time to revise heavily and craft words to your voice. 

Mar 31, 14 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: