Archinect
anchor

Business undergrad going for M.Arch

Prometheus

I graduated with a BS from IIT in Business Administration in 2010. I didn't really like business but stuck with it mainly for financial (economic and financial aid) reasons and the fact that I thought I was cut-out for mechanical engineering but discovered I wasn't. I graduated with a less-than-stellar 2.8 GPA, partly because of my poor performance during my time as an engineering student but also because of my B grades as a business student. I currently work for a bank, but I have spent a significant part of my childhood drawing and designing things; sadly it took me a long time to really grasp the fact that I wanted to study architecture, missing many opportunities along the way. The M.Arch offers me the chance to finally study architecture (aiming for Fall 2015). I realize that I am at a disadvantage because I am not from a design background and because of my GPA, but I'm determined to try and willing to accept the fact that I don't qualify for the Harvards, RISDs, and Yales of the world. To that end I've been looking at IIT, SAIC, UIC, Urbana-Champaign, and Southern Illinois-Carbondale since they are in my home state but also because I feel I would have a better chance at these schools. My questions are really: 1) I plan on submitting a portfolio with sketches and digital renderings of various buildings I've "designed" in order to demonstrate that I am able to visualize my design ideas, and I also plan on having some of my original furniture designs built for me and the photos and sketches included in the portfolio. What else should I focus on doing to show that despite my business background that I can succeed in design? 2) I will absolutely need to take the GRE to make up for my poor GPA. What else can I do to help mitigate the negative effects of the GPA? 3) I've visited and have prior experience with IIT's school of architecture from a previous undergraduate project but also from the large amount of time I spent hanging out there. I have not had a chance to visit UIC, SAIC, SIU, or Urbana-Champaign. Does anyone have any feedback on these programs? 4) Is it advisable when visiting these schools to be open about my background, including the less-than-stellar aspects, in order to better ascertain what the school thinks about my chances of getting in? Thank you for your help! P.S.: If it helps, I would describe my design work as being "neo-modern" with post modern influences and I want to focus on residential and medium-scale commercial architecture. I sorta like theory but really want an education that focus more on "how to build buildings rather than merely talking about buildings", so-to-say. BTW... I tried adding spaces but the editor won't let me, so please forgive the long block of text (I did this on my phone).

Mar 31, 14 2:54 pm
siesta

I have an economics/finance background and will be entering an M.Arch program this fall, so I can definitely give you some advice. First, do tons of research--it's really important to visit the schools, look at the student work, talk to students, administrators, and if you can, faculty. This will help you understand where you want to go, it'll show serious interest in the schools you visit, and they will give you a TON of advice on how to create a great application. Talk to as many people in the field as you can to get more information on what they think of all these schools, and hopefully they can help review your portfolio as well.

Also, I highly, highly recommend attending a summer program. I went to [IN]ARCH at UC Berkeley, but Harvard, Columbia, UCLA, SCI-Arc, Rice, and others also do them. They are 4-6 weeks long and are meant for people in your situation: already have a bachelor's (or are about to get one), and not necessarily from any design field. It'll help you determine if you really want to pursue this, and if so, it'll give you good design work to put in your portfolio. I really learned a lot in the program and I absolutely wouldn't have been as successful as I was in my applications if I had done it on my own. And, there were some people who thought this was really what they wanted to do, but after six weeks of immersion they found it wasn't for them. Better to know now, than one year into a program and $XX,XXX in debt.

Hope this helps!

Apr 1, 14 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
siesta

Also, look through the "2014 M.Arch Applicants - Final Results, Decisions, Stats, etc." thread; people are posting some really great advice for applicants, which applies regardless of what your background is.

Apr 1, 14 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: