Archinect
anchor

MArch Decision - Any comments on UBC, UofT, or RISD?

genevievebaleine

Hi!

I've been accepted to UBC, UofT, and RISD for my MArch degree. I don't think anyone knows what it's like to go to a school until they do, so I'm hoping there are some past and present students out there that wouldn't mind commenting on their personal experience. I have my own preconceived notions, but they could be totally wrong! The only school I haven't had the chance to visit in person is UBC, so details regarding their facilities and program would be especially helpful. 

Mar 31, 14 11:37 am
brunchEGGS

A friend of mine went to UBC and hated it. Also, there aren't a lot of job opportunities in the BC area. I'd say bank on either UofT or RISD. A side note, the Toronto industry is still pretty strong. 

Mar 31, 14 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
genevievebaleine

Thanks for your response! I'm actually currently living and working at an architecture firm in Toronto. I think if I studied at UBC, I'd want to come back east regardless. One of the big benefits of going to UBC for me is that the program would only be 2.5 years, whereas UofT would be 3.5 years- making it a lot less expensive. Do you have any insight into why your friend disliked UBC?

Mar 31, 14 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
clairemk

hey,

i'll be going to UofT in september - but i was given advanced placement, so it'll be 2.5 years. I would say UofT probably has a much more international faculty than UBC, also, if you plan on working out east anyways, you'll probably make better connections at UofT. Right now I work at a well known design firm in Toronto, and most of my colleagues went to UofT or american schools, i don't personally know of anyone in the office who went to UBC... UofT also has a substantial financial aid program called UTAPS, which, you will qualify for if you're applying for OSAP, so that helps. but... on the other hand, they're moving soon, so i don't know what that says for studio space. just my two cents. 

Mar 31, 14 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
brunchEGGS

The weather- though warm but rains a lot.
The program apparently is not challenging enough for her but you're admitted to 2.5 years, so the curriculum might be different. Since you're already working in Toronto, you've incurred "Toronto experience", then it doesn't matter which school you go to. My friend got a job in Toronto afterwards anyway. I say at this point, compare their courses, faculties and price. 

Mar 31, 14 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
clairemk

hmm, i don't know if "toronto experience" on it's own means a whole lot these days... obviously it depends on where you're working, but, most recent grads have worked at least a few internships in Toronto. On the other hand, having the chance to work directly with some of the biggest names in the Toronto (and canadian) architecture world does mean something: george baird, john shnier and brigitte shim are on the faculty, among others. but again, like brunchEGGS said, look at their programs... i seem to remember hearing that UBC had a program which really stressed sustainable design, while UofT tends to be a little more theoretical and experimental.

Mar 31, 14 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: