Archinect
anchor

A fair starting wage

rednotdead

I graduated with a B.Arch last summer and have been working since October as a fulltime 50 hour a week employee at a husband/wife firm since (they also both teach as professors). I'm paid minimum wage hourly - they say they cant afford to pay me any more than that.

I work on almost all levels of their projects, though the projects are small and not worth mention. Drawings, some design, agency research, etc. 

Is this reasonable? My rent and gas fare (living in SoCal...) pretty much eats my wage right up - and other than basic experience the job gives me nothing impressive to put in my portfolio Sometimes I find myself in despair at the situation, and think maybe I should ask for a raise of some sort. Without my work they would have no firm.

On the other hand, this is my first job after all - I have very little other experience other than a one off internship and I'm no Revit wizard, so I realize I am not as competitive as I ought to be.

What do you guys think? At what point is a raise reasonable/expected?

Mar 31, 14 1:07 am
file

A firm that "can't afford" to pay you more than minimum wage is not a viable firm - they're just taking advantage of you. Start looking elsewhere for a real job.

Mar 31, 14 7:58 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Start looking for something else today. You should expect about 35 to 38K/year starting salary which is about 16 to $18/hour.

Mar 31, 14 8:28 am  · 
 · 
bklyntotfc

You're getting screwed...but just as accurately, you're allowing yourself to get screwed.  Move on, and do it on good terms so that you can use them as a reference, etc.

Mar 31, 14 8:59 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

SoCal might be the worst place to start out in architecture....Run!

Mar 31, 14 10:36 am  · 
 · 
rednotdead

I was anticipating these replies. Something just didn't feel right about the situation...

Is there a reason SoCal is so terrible to start in?

Mar 31, 14 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Lol.  If they can't afford it then they can't have it.   I can't afford a Ferrari so I don't get a Ferrari.  You can't afford an employee you don't get to have one.  Simple.  

Mar 31, 14 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

You can't trick a Ferrari into thinking you can't afford it.

Mar 31, 14 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Cost of living + extremely high labor supply(several universities spitting out grads every year) + nice weather + government inefficiency (increased regulations) + worst traffic in the country = not a supportive environment to grow.

Say what you want about other major employment areas(NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc) at least there your hustle can get you somewhere. 

Mar 31, 14 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

I agree with cutting and running but do not forget to file your IDP, you qualify since you were paid, and being in a small office you have a leg upon the hard to get categories of hours, get your NCARB record started (do it soon so you get the recent grad discount) and calculate how long you have to work to be eligible for your first and or last filing then set two weeks after that as your deadline to demand a raise or quit, file IDP first don't turn in your two weeks notice until the hours are approved and registered in your NCARB record.

Despite the measly wages do try to be professional and give two weeks notice and to be nice about it, this is your first job you want to be able to have future job prospects call your current firm and ask about your work and work ethic. Don't burn this bridge until you have found another one.

The only reason to stay where you are is to get some IDP hours wrapped up and to leave on decent terms.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 31, 14 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

nope, not reasonable. i think the minimum should be $11-13/hr plus overtime pay at time and a half with a chance to move up within a year or so. Are they making money on the projects you are working on? The margins shouldn't be that slim.

Mar 31, 14 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I just moved to SoCal for a job, doesn't seem so bad LITS. Cost of living seems much more doable than some of the other major cities on an Arch Salary.

Mar 31, 14 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
med.

The economy is okay right now.  And many firms are hiring.  I agree - ditch the bums and get a real good paying gig.

Apr 2, 14 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

At those wages and chance of making twice that at wal-mart, get a few projects to a point where if you walk tomorrow they lose their client and job. Tell them a great opportunity came up and you must leave immediately to seal the deal. There is nothing professional about paying you minimum wage and hence you don't owe them the courtesy. You can't learn anything from people who run unsuccessful businesses anyway. Who knows maybe their clients will call you after you walk and you could bill 10 fold and save their clients 50 percent.

Apr 2, 14 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
Rennie

Woah, I make more than double that as a STUDENT worker at my firm. If they are legit, they should pay you. Seriously, look for something else. 

Apr 3, 14 8:34 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

'... should expect $16 to $18 / hr."   yikes...

Here in Canada the minimum wage is $11 ..  I sure hope the pay in an architecture firm for full time employees is a lot more than $16 xD

Apr 3, 14 7:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: