Archinect
anchor

Writing to partner at a firm..?

nocturne

I was really fortunate (not showing off, here, just looking for advice) to have a studio instructor that is a partner at a major firm.  After my final review he/she gave me their business card and said to get in touch if looking for a job.  I felt like it was more for full time, but I have a year left to go.  How do I write to him/her to basically ask for a summer internship opportunity without being too formal, but still professional?  I don't think a formal cover letter is necessary in this case...? 

Any advice is appreciated!!

Thanks!

Mar 31, 14 12:04 am
bowling_ball

I've been thru this. You'll still want to write a more casual cover letter, but you've got to read the other person and use your judgement.  In my case, my cover letter was short and to the point: "Dear _______, You should hire me. Sincerely, bowling_ball."   The point is to get the conversation started via interview. Presumably, your studio crit is aware that you're not done school yet, but be clear anyway.  A summer position is a good way to see if you two work well together. Working under somebody in studio can be verrrrrrry different from working for the same person, as an employee. 

Good luck.

Mar 31, 14 4:53 am  · 
 · 
file

Why be so formal - a letter of any sort seems unnecessary.

Why not just pick up the phone and call this person as a follow-up to what was said after your final review?

Mar 31, 14 7:52 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I disagree slightly - as a job candidate, it'd be smart to think of the cover letter as a chance to show your writing and communication skills, and how they transfer to the professional workplace.  A potential employer is going to take you more seriously if you treat yourself that way.  

Mar 31, 14 10:16 am  · 
 · 
3tk

I'll second bowling_ball - I've always sent a full package (cover letter, CV and work samples) to the firm via their official channels and then dropped an email/separate letter to the contact.  If it's a big firm they'd appreciate the considerations to their schedule, and professional behavior is something you want to demonstrate (if anything because too many students don't exhibit it).  Make sure to mention in the cover letter that the partner has asked that you should contact them.

Mar 31, 14 11:41 am  · 
 · 
file

People - I think you are forgetting that the OP already knows the Partner in question and the Partner already knows the OP's work - it's not like they're strangers !

Mar 31, 14 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Good idea, file - suggest to the kid that he take the easy route, just because he can.

I tell you from experience - working professionally for a crit is not at all the same as them guiding you through studio.  As I said, this is a chance to very easily start out on the right foot.  I have no idea why you think that's a bad idea. 

Mar 31, 14 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: