Archinect
anchor

small addition - first job

outthere

OK, So I was approached by a friend of mine to do a small addition (he is a contractor).  He said its small and they normally wouldnt file this, but since there using TGI framing they will need to file it.  Apparently there might be more jobs like this down the pipeline, so I kind of want to give this a shot.  It was apparently already designed and drawn by someone else and I would just be signing and sealing the documents.  I have read the New York State guidelines about signing and sealing dwgs prepared by others but I have the following questions/concerns.

1. I deal with mostly large buildings in NYC filed with the NYC DOB, so filing with a local DOB could be alot different, but what kind of structural/energy/plumbing calcs would I need to include?  I presume a standard structural analysis with all the calcs of the main members would be sufficient.  The energy calcs would be done with res-check.  Plumbing I am unsure about, but I dont even know if its in this job.  Correct me if any of that is wrong.

2. Do I need / should I get insurance?  If so, what kind would you suggest?  E&O Project Insurance?

3. What kind of fee would you charge for something like this?  I am assuming there was no code or zoning analysis done either.

Mar 30, 14 10:49 pm
DMS-USA

>>signing and sealing the documents.

So you're licensed?  In my state, I need to be 'in responsible control' of the project.  That means I need to know everything about the project, and how it's documented and specified, to exercise 'reasonable care' in servicing the project.   This would require at least of day or two's worth of going over all the documents and records of the project to see what's been done, and how well it's been done.  Doesn't matter who executed the work... As long as you're in responsible control, you're the king.  Will you be able to edit these already-produced CD's, or direct them to be edited?

As far as what's required for a minimal submittal, you need to find out who the AHJ is.  Once you know that, go to their website, and look at the form library or their community development homepage where they'll very likely have a concise list of drawings, specs and engineering reports they'd like to see for a project of your scale.

Zoning research is a must.  If the AHJ (or county) is reasonably modern, they'll probably have a GIS system and / or zoning maps available online.  If not, you'll need to see a planner at the counter in-person.

Discover legal building envelope.  Setbacks, easements, right-of-ways, height limits, etc.

Check for fire sprinkler requirements.  Additions will often trigger that.

Check for street improvement triggers.  Around here, even simple additions will force new curb and gutter in older neighborhoods.

Any parking implications?

Is it adding a dwelling unit?

High fire hazard area?

How much to charge??  What's your estimate of the construction cost?  That's a good place to start.

I hope you're not licensed... I mean geez... This is minimum competence stuff.  Are you yanking our chains?

It's TJI, not, TGI.  I have no idea what a TGI is... other than thanking a deity of some sort.

Insurance?  Are you kidding?  I'll bet the policy price would be higher than the fee for services!

Best way to not get sued:  Do a good job.

You sure you're up to this?  Be sure, because this is serious business.

Mar 31, 14 3:17 am  · 
 · 
outthere

Thanks DMS, and Yes I am licensed.  All of your info is much appreciated, but we all have to start somewhere right??  I do fee proposals, and file with the DOB on the jobs I manage regularly.  I have been working on highrise buildings for 7 or 8 years now, so single family residential is a bit different.  So forgive the newbie questions :).  I wouldnt have asked if I didnt take any of this seriously.  The only reason I asked about fee was because I thought someone would have a ballpark figure for something like this since I would not be producing the documents, but I would have to over see them.

I guess insurance is out of the question and your suggestion would be just to do a good job.  I would definately be consulting with other architects I know during the process.  But at this point I am just testing the waters to see if this is what I want to get into.

Mar 31, 14 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
DMS-USA

Out,

Yeah... Sorry I was a little snarky in my previous post.

>>>All of your info is much appreciated, but we all have to start somewhere right??

Yeah, I suppose so.  I was perplexed, though, as all the skills I needed to perform services for a residential remodel / addition I had acquired within the first four years of working in the industry... Maybe I'm unusual that way... I dunno'.

Anyhow, as far as the fee... I wouldn't accept less than 3% of construction cost to have the thing follow me around for the next decade (my state's default 'warranty' period).  If you're being asked to stamp this baby, then it's yours... And that includes all the possible problems that could come with it.

The list of things I'd consider on it is longer than what I gave you... Those were just the high points.

>>>since I would not be producing the documents, but I would have to over see them.

Don't bet on that.  There's a reason you're being 'brought in' on it.  Most jurisdictions don't require an RA for single-family work, so something is probably amiss with this person's work.  If it were me, I'd approach as if I were starting from scratch, which would mean at least 5% for myself, and another 1.5 to 2% to cover consultants.  You need to weigh that against the time factor, too.  For a small project, the time spent can outweigh the construction cost percentage equation.  I'm just finishing a 200 SF bathroom addition that's probably $200K cost, and my fee was $8K, not including structural ($1.2K), energy ($300) and topographic survey ($1.2K).  So all in, the client is paying $10,700 in professional fees for a 200 SF addition... A little over 5% of cost.  She got a good deal, as I'll have about 180 hours in it.  I got creamed on this one.

Don't do the structural yourself.  I'm a good architect, with solid street smarts, and I never do structural... Today's requirements are just too intense for that.  I always bring in a PE... Even on small jobs.  They've got know-how and software I can only dream of.  I could engineer them, but it'd probably increase my client's construction cost more than the cost of hiring the engineer.  It's more than worth it for yourself AND the client to have a PE on board.

>>>I would definitely be consulting with other architects I know during the process.

Well... That's fine... Will they work for free, or do you need to pay them?

>>>But at this point I am just testing the waters to see if this is what I want to get into.

No, you're jumping in the pool.  Be sure you're ready to swim until you can touch the bottom.  Just sayin'.

Anyhow, I wish you and your client a good experience; Sincerely.  Just remember... You're licensed to be a professional planner, so be sure and have your plan for the project fully debugged before you sell it, please.

Best wishes on your endeavors!

Mar 31, 14 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

DMS - thanks - i hope to do some residential work in the future and always enjoy your posts.

Apr 1, 14 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

Thanks DMS.  Yeah its kind of insane the amount different modes of thinking / skills involve.  This helps alot.

Apr 3, 14 9:40 am  · 
 · 
DMS-USA

Out & Shu,

Glad I can help.

There's no 'simple' or 'easy' jobs anymore in today's regulatory environment.  That's one thing a lot of people just don't understand until they actually try and do it (not speaking directly to you, but just 'people' in general).

I've got a piece of property in the Mojave desert I was considering putting a retreat cottage on (and may, still).  I investigated the issues with the county (who are the AHJ in this case) and.... Yep!... They had to do a full-on environmental feasibility report on it.  This is a 2 1/2 acre piece of stone-cold DESERT.  To facilitate the report, I had to get a boundary survey performed, then go out and stake / mark the proposed building footprint so the county's building official could go see it, then they produced a report and filed it.  They approved my proposed work, but that was only after a $2K survey, and a day for myself on the site staking and marking it.  If I were doing it for a client, that would have been a non-trivial outlay of funds (and time - it took 2 months!) just to know the proposed development was even a legal possibility.  Now think of this.... What if I'd gone merrily along producing all the CD's, meeting with the client, hammering out all the little issues, spending tons of time, then being surprised by the need for the environmental report?  And what if it was denied??  Holy cow!  That would have been a disaster.  And it'd be MY FAULT.  Not only that, it'd be a clear abdication of my professional duty as defined by the law, and I'd probably get cited for it if the client complained to the state board.

The client hires us with the expectation that we're going to be aware (or become aware in a timely manner) of all the legal issues that could trip up or foil their contemplated project.  I've often mused that being an architect is very akin to be a lawyer.  We deal with codes, just like they do.  The codes are based on case histories and precedents.  Every single code issue has an initial event that prompted it's drafting, and carries with it an intent that we need to make manifest in our work.

Anyhow, the moral of the story is that even for the smallest job, you need to explain to your client that you'll be doing extensive research to exert reasonable care in making sure their project will be within the law.  If they balk at paying for that, then they don't 'get it' and you shouldn't take them on as a client.  NEVER trust the client's or contractor's research on any zoning or building code issues.  ALWAYS check for yourself.  That's probably the most valuable piece of advice I can offer.  Just sticking to that will save you a ton of time, money, and headaches.... and in the extreme case, your licensure.

The only reason I chime in on these topics is that I get damned tired of hearing people (contractors in particular) deride architects as idiots or know-nothings.  The only way we shift that perception is by all of us performing at our best.  As such, I'm happy to pass on my experience to help us all become smarter, more effective planners.

Remember, in all your professional pursuits:

Careful.  Comprehensive.  Concise.

I wrote this post more as a philosophical 'closer' to our discussion... Not necessarily as a direct response to the issue at hand... I just thought it might be useful to anyone who stumbled upon our discussion as food for thought.

All the discussion on this forum of design theory, green this, ecological that, etc... It's all mental masturbation.  Like actual masturbation, it's gratifying, but it doesn't mean squat when it comes to getting actual work done.  Our real job is to facilitate our client's wants and needs, while helping them to stay within the law, and safeguarding the health, safety and welfare of people who will use, or be exposed to, our works.

Now, get out there and make the World a better place! :-)

Apr 3, 14 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

DMS-USA   You nailed it.  The pilling on of BS with codes and regs is never ending.  As long as the gov can find some way to piggyback your economic contribution to society, they will.  My uncle wants to renovate his house - so I'm looking into these issues.  Thinking about trying to become a licensed contractor in VA and overseeing it, but it would be a big jump.

Apr 3, 14 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: