Archinect
anchor

Any Advice For Freshman Year Students ? Thanks!

WilsonWu

Hi,

I am an freshman year undergraduate student, and I would like to hear some advice from you guys because I believe your experiences are pretty valuable for my future study. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome. Here are some facts about me.

1. international student from China

2. School: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 

3. Program: Bachelor of Science in Architecture. (Which means I may need to pursue an accredited Master Degree )

Thank you so much!

Mar 30, 14 4:09 pm

LEARN TO MANAGE YOUR TIME! 

Easier said than done for sure. But it will help you tenfold through your college years. Looking back I think almost all of my all nighters were preventable with realistic goals and planning.

BSArch and MArch, University of Illinois at Chicago.

Mar 30, 14 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Choose a different profession.

And learn to post in the appropriate category, in this case "Academia".

Mar 30, 14 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
WilsonWu

Thank you.

Mar 30, 14 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
apapaz
At uiuc you don't have studio your first year and you start your second year and in my opinion it's total b.s. and puts the students behind. But to make up for it there are more technology courses that they require than most schools. I go there now and I love to school, love the program but it's a little bit unmotivating until you get into 3rd yr studio. So hang in there if you are truly passionate. Start taking some Arch history courses your freshman year to get those out of the way it will help you later on have more free time to work on projects than having to worry about papers. Otherwise your freshman year should be a breeze.
Mar 30, 14 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

WilsonWu, I would recommend you take as many electives early as you can. Get electives outside of the architecture department. I went there for my M Arch degree and UIUC is a good program but you have to be proactive in your efforts. 

Take some theater or journalism classes to help with language skills if you feel you need it.

I would try to take an art elective Time Arts where you make short films, or an intro studio course will help get you ready for the studio critique you will face in architecture studio. Some of the professors can be real shitty with their advice especially if you are not following their idea of what is "Architecture" Poss, Satlmyer, are two good faculty to have for studio. Also take art classes is important, having connections and access to the art departments studios, photo studios, lighting kits, cameras fabrication labs and printing is a huge benefit when all the sections of studio have their projects due the same day, As good as the printing and fabrication labs are in the school of architecture they cannot handle the demands when all studio sections come due the same week, having options that are just across the street or around the corner is a good idea.

Find Professor Anthony and her book Design Juries on Trial and try to get an independent study over winter break, this book will make your design studio experience much easier if you follow the thesis she has laid out.

Use the two recreation centers, start a volleyball club or running or swimming group so you stay healthy.

Spend your out of studio time at Paradiso Cafe on Nevada and Lincoln not the Espresso Royals, and make it a point to talk to people about what you do, talking and explaining are skills that will help in your studio juries later on in school.

Eat all meals outside of the three architecture buildings, the atrium in TBH does not count as outside, you will be less stressed in the long run.

Consider minoring or double major in landscape architecture.

Get a coffee maker and something to grind beans with, Mr Coffee will save you hundreds of dollars.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 31, 14 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
WilsonWu

Thanks for the advice!

Mar 31, 14 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
cg_8
Get yourself incredibly acquainted with all the rendering and drawing software involved with our profession as possible. REVIT is most likely taught. But still, learn tons about rendering because your projects look as good as your renders. Google everything you may have a problem with because someone else has had that same problem before and someone else figured out how to fix it or make it better.

Outside of software:

Manage time. Not just to complete work in a timely manner, but also to keep yourself sane. Find time to spend time with close friends. Actually, make time. I was so focused on school that I lost contact with some really close friends.

Also, ask professors questions. Any question, even if you thinks it's dumb. They like answering them and they also like knowing you want to learn. Becoming "friends" with professors helps too. They usually are practicing and when jobs are available, they often ask those who were friendly with them. Or they know someone who is hiring and recommend you. Also helps to have a great person for a letter of recommendation or reference. I know this is kind of "office politics" stuff that shouldn't matter, but it really does matter.
Apr 1, 14 10:30 pm  · 
 · 

Cg-8, you have an excellent point, U of i will not teach you the software you need to do your studio work, they just can't fit it into their curriculum. If you are in Champaign Urbana this summer get a car and get to Parkland to take their Cad and Revit Course, Cost $500-600 for a whole semester and I think you can even get a night course and then transfer the credits in to U of I as electives. $500-600 is very cheap compared to U of I tuition and to the private week long boot camps offered. Parkland has tons of foreign students so they can deal with most of your concerns if they come up. Also, if the software is a challenge for you taking them outside of U of I keeps your GPA up at U of I strong. you can always take the course at Parkland for no credit so you can bail when finals come around.

Apr 3, 14 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

buy the book,  80/20 and apply those principles to everything you do in school.  I wish I had known that but I was just that stubborn guy who did everything with equal intensity and priority.  Suffered immensly. ><

Apr 3, 14 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: