Archinect
anchor

Interior Architecture vs Architecture

mziasheik

I am considering a M. Interior Architecture from Cal Poly Pomona.  I have an Undergraduate degree in International Studies, so at this point I don't know much about Interior Architecture vs Architecture.  From what I've heard and researched they are very different, and Interior Architecture is basically Interior Design with a different title.  Is this true?  I am interested in designing structures, but more for the interior rather than exterior (ie staircases, shapes of rooms, etc).  Would this be something I would be doing in a future career with a degree in Interior Architecture, or will I just be given the already created shell of the space and left to fill it?  I spoke with an advisor at UNC-Greensboro who told me I would be working hand in hand with architects in a future career, but I'm wondering exactly how much input I could expect in terms of designing the actual structure of a building.  And if I did choose to follow through with this degree is Cal Poly Pomona a good school or would somewhere else be better, even if I'm only getting a second Bachelors degree?  Thanks!

Mar 28, 14 9:57 am
Non Sequitur

Architecture > interior design and interior architecture is just interior design re-branded to sound better.

You may get a chance to look at stairs and whatnot studying int-design but it's rather unlikely. I've come to understand through practice that many int-des programs spend more time training their students to think they have architectural skills rather than teach them said skills. Just make sure you have a decent portfolio when applying to architecture schools.

Mar 28, 14 10:44 am  · 
 · 
C. Watts

Get a degree in architecture, this is what you are looking for.  Interior will deal more with furniture, colors, materials. 

Mar 28, 14 11:06 am  · 
 · 
nycdesigns

Interior Design / Interior Architecture is focused more or Furniture, Finishes and Equipment. That at least is at the core. From there, different schools will add significant and competitive additional basic skills. There's a good number of interior designers that know their architecture. No doubt. Let's look at it this way, you want to design interior spaces. If you will be looking to practice in the US (I really can't speak for other locales), that design will at some scale require an architect to review and sign the drawings. Take the architecture route, from there if you want to, add on the interior architecture connection in practice and continued education.

Mar 28, 14 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: