Archinect
anchor

M. Arch program suggestion, interested in redesigning historic buildings?

stoneheap

I’m researching M.Arch programs and I was hoping I could get some program recommendations. Ideally, I’d like to work redesigning historic buildings... I’m interested programs that are heavy on sustainable design and preservation. I’ve been doing a lot of research but there are probably things I’ve overlooked.

If anyone is wondering, I have a BFA in Sculpture with a minor in architecture, including the basic math/physics requirements. I’ve looked into planning/historic preservation programs, but I want to get an M.Arch because it seems like a much more “real” and more widely applicable degree.

Mar 28, 14 9:57 am
Volunteer

Obviously you want a school that isn't into the trend of the month, that doesn't hold contempt for traditional architecture, that is located in an area where you can get your hands dirty on worthwhile projects as in New Orleans, Savannah, or Charleston, and that is affordable. A seriously good question.

Mar 28, 14 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Tulane has both - an architectural preservation program and a regular Master's degree program, but their tuition is $24,000 a semester. I would go talk with them and see what scholarships and grants and work options are available. Whatever you do, do not go into debt to attend.

Mar 28, 14 11:31 am  · 
 · 
mfischer3387

Depends on where you see yourself settling down afterwards. Most HP programs have regional strengths in building history and field preservation opportunities. I minored in HP during my B.Arch program at University of Oregon, and happened to find out they were one of the best known programs on the west coast. However, I can say from experience that the strengths were highlighted with preservation in the PacNW, with some general east coast focus.

Since HP programs are much smaller, and are usually tied to the B. and M.Arch Programs (in Oregon's case, there's a fair amount of overlap between the supplementary classes in the HP masters and Arch Classes, sans studios), I would focus on:

- Narrowing down your region

- Finding HP programs in these areas

- Seeing what overlap/connection occurs between the two programs (but do talk to the HP people, as they may be more flexible in accommodating your dual interest, generally given the size of the Arch programs and rigid requirements)

Good Luck!

Mar 28, 14 11:56 am  · 
 · 
stoneheap

Thanks for your advice! I am from New York and while I don't mind going somewhere else for grad school, I'd like to settle on the East Coast eventually. I will keep both of your advice in mind while I'm looking.

I am interested in an M.Arch because the people I know who have done HP programs have not generally recommended them, and I'm more interested in doing a design studio-based program than a history-based one. But if people think I'm barking up the wrong tree in seeking an M.Arch, I'd be interested in hearing those opinions too.

Mar 28, 14 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
nycdesigns

Stoneheap, I am going to throw in the UO. You can look up Professor Don Corner and Stephen Duff. It's understandable you want to consider staying regionally close to home. I went to school in the NW, worked in New York and eventually came back to the NW. There is nothing stopping you, You know that I am sure. Hope you get some good advice.

Mar 28, 14 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Stoneheap, Good luck whatever you do. One benefit of New Orleans would be the amount of construction and restoration work going on in and around NO since Katrina. You could work a semester or so and go to school a semester. I think you would learn as much, if not more, during your work phases and have a blast doing it. Do not cripple yourself with debt, though, for any school.

Mar 29, 14 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
nocturne

I don't know if this is what you would be looking for, but U. of Notre Dame offers architecture degrees in classical architecture...they offer several M.Arch paths....Maybe there is some preservation involved?

Mar 30, 14 2:53 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

stone heap, if you can get in and stomach a time in northwest Indiana, go to Notre Dame. There are a lot of other places that can fake it, but ND can still provide a career path and an alumni network to talented graduates who have the skills to do this work.  

Mar 30, 14 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
brunchEGGS

The best way to practice this line of work would be to work at specialized offices. I guarantee you that you will learn so much more. IMO, no school will be able to teach you that- too many variables. So, really, any school will do, as long as you learn the basics. 

Mar 31, 14 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
brunchEGGS

Actually, a program that gives you a good emphasis on building science should help. 

Mar 31, 14 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
BeaBea88

Cal Poly Pomona has the M Arch and they offer a sustainability concentration and historic preservation.

I'm starting there in the fall for the M Arch. I have a BA in studio art :)

Apr 3, 14 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Rennie

You should really look at University of Maryland. The program there is very wrapped up in Historic Preservation, and the architecture school is great - a lot of flexibility, and notable practicing architects as instructors. With the proximity to DC and Baltimore (two extremely different metro areas with different defining histories), and the inter-disciplinary studies, I think you'd be happy. Plus, there's the added benefit of the School's standing relationship with the National Trust for Historic Preservation. 

Also, there is a dual degree program - you could get an M.Arch + Masters in Historic Preservation… and they offer classes like Historic Preservation Studio, where you learn how to make plaster molds. Like, amazing. 

Apr 18, 14 12:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: