Archinect
anchor

Stay at Home Dad trying to get back into the profession...

prospecto

Hello all.

I have been a stay at home Dad to my Daughter for the past 5 years.  It was an easy choice to make at the time given that the state of architecture 5 years ago was pretty terrible and my wife's career was booming and has been since.  I always intended to get back into the business when my daughter started school, which she will be in September of this year. 

Prior to making the decision to hang my career up in the closet I had 5 years of professional experience and the opportunity to work on some pretty amazing projects.  I miss working in architecture dearly, but would not trade the experience I have had with my daughter for anything.  With that said, the daunting task of applying to jobs lays before me.  I'm hopeless at this point and I haven't even started, its sad I know..Any advice from any fellow archinecters would be very welcome and much appreciated. 

Thanks.

Mar 27, 14 3:23 pm
chigurh

Good for you.  I stayed home with my kid and it was awesome.

Learn Revit.  

Be upfront about your hiatus from practice.  Employers will want to know if you will go back to the stay at home dad gig if you have another kid.  

Seems like the economy is picking up again so its a good time to start applying for jobs especially at the 5-year experience level because there is less risk and training involved.

You will be rusty at first, but it will come back quickly.

Land a job and kill it. 

Mar 27, 14 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
stone

If you left your last employer on positive terms, take your former boss to lunch and discuss your situation. If you're lucky, that firm might take you back. If not, the conversation will at least give you a sense of what employers will be looking for.

Mar 27, 14 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Learn Revit. Learn Revit. Learn Revit.

Mar 27, 14 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I have been the SAH dad sometimes during my career. Not for 5 years, but for 1... Just go look for a job and explain yourself. You might start part time, so you can ease in and also pick up your daughter at the end of school. Get your wife to drop off and you start your work day early.

I'm currently starting a biz, I also drop off/ pick up and have her on the (many) days school is not in session. So, I'm a part time SAH dad.

Just get over your phobia, send out those resumes and hold your head high.
Mar 27, 14 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

word.

big ups prospecto.

Mar 28, 14 1:44 am  · 
 · 
Tony Robins

You've got five years of experience under your belt. Employers will be understanding that you left work for a good reason. The fact that you still have a passion for the job after five years of being away may even work in your favour. If you can portray it right.

Just put yourself out there. Also I agree that contacting your old employer (if you left on good terms) is a good idea from Stone. All the best.

Mar 28, 14 8:17 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I don't know why you would trade the freedom you have for a nine to five.  IF your wife can still support your family, do your own thing. Don't go work for someone else. Draft bathroom remodels or rehab a foreclosure or build a spec house. IMHO.

Mar 28, 14 11:18 am  · 
 · 
dynamo

I am happy for you... that you have such an understanding wife. I got laid off from a big three letter firm in 2009 after doing pretty well there. Was unemployed for a year. Then stayed home with a new-born son for 6 months or so. Then accepted a job in sales because there were zero arch jobs out there. Was actually making the same amount as in previous job - low 50's. That lasted for 3 years. Then a year ago my wife left me because I am such a loser and can't provide for the family, meaning that I was earning less then her. Still trying to recover from everything and get my career back.

May 1, 14 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

did you do ANYTHING architecture related while at home taking care of your daughter for 5 years?  like learning, updating your portfolio, brushing up on certain skills etc?

May 1, 14 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

With that said, the daunting task of applying to jobs lays before me.  I'm hopeless at this point and I haven't even started, its sad I know..Any advice from any fellow archinecters would be very welcome and much appreciated. 

Sounds like you have already given up before trying.  Be optimistic my friend.  Good decision on being a stay at home dad w/ your daughter, I am sure that time spent is priceless compare to working for any firm...

May 1, 14 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: