Archinect
anchor

How often would you send a resume?

MarvinOne

I've sent resumes to several firms at least once over the past two years, some have received two copies. It's been 4-6 months since I last sent out a round of resumes unless I've responded directly to some potential openings. All the firms I contacted previously said they were not hiring.

I'm in desperate need of a new job and wondered what your opinions were on how often you should send a resume. Should I wait at least 6 months?

Thanks.

Mar 26, 14 12:13 pm
randomized

Did you at least update your resume and portfolio?

Mar 26, 14 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

I have a spreadsheet of the firms I have applied to in the last two years. 326. Keep going. I got there eventually and you will too.

Mar 26, 14 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

I reapplied about every 3-6 months or really once every season. The work load changes depending on the time of year. To be honest luck has a lot to do with it.

Mar 26, 14 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
MarvinOne

randomized - I'm constantly updating those items, so they've never received the same resume twice.

Maureen - thanks for the info. The market I'm looking into doesn't have nearly that many firms, so I won't have quite as high of a number as you! But I seem to be on the same time frame. Yeah - local economies and luck does help. As I've seen this very tiny uptick in employment in my area of the country, I've become hopeful that I'll finally get to move.

Mar 26, 14 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

@Marvin: That's the way to go. Because some people end up resending the same (generic) stuff that didn't get them the interview in the first place. What worked for me is to follow the architecture news and competition winners like a mad man. And be very specific in your letters and the projects that you show, tailor them to the office you approach. Hang in there.

Mar 27, 14 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
stone

Seems to me what's missing from this discussion is any real "personal relationship" with potential employers. If you're going to keep going back to the same firms time and time again, try to develop a personal connection with as many people in these firms as possible - it's much easier to ignore a 'resume' than it is a 'person'.

Mar 27, 14 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
MarvinOne

stone - you're absolutely right. But I'm looking at jobs in another state, so the personal relationships aspect becomes much more difficult. I have a few contacts in that area and have contacted each one of them. One potential option for me and my spouse is to move to the area, I would likely be unemployed but could try to network when I get there. That option leads to more negative impacts on our personal life, so we're not taking it - at least for now.

I really appreciate you noticing that missing link in my job hunt - it verifies what I have been thinking and I'll continue to seek personal connections where I can.

Mar 27, 14 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: