Archinect
anchor

Has Ncarb lost it's mind?

MyDream

Getting Started
You can begin earning IDP credit while enrolled in architecture school or once you are working in an architecture firm. Once you have established when you can start, you can follow five easy steps to participate

I currently work in an architecture practice and I am in architecture school. Is it possible for me to earn IDP credit while I am working and going to school?

(The link that has me all excited)

http://www.ncarb.org/Experience-Through-Internships/Getting-Started.aspx

Mar 24, 14 8:53 am
curtkram

i would suggest reading ncarb's rules rather than asking a forum.  from what i remember, you still have to work under direct supervision of an architect, there might be a minimum of how many hours you have to work, and you may only get partial credit for your time.  isn't that in the IDP guidelines book you can download at the link you provided?

Mar 24, 14 9:13 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

Thanks for your answer curtkram, I sent ncarb an email and they are going to get back with because of a high volume of traffic. I have always known ncarb to let applicants to start recording idp hours after 3 years of a accredited 5 year b.arch or 1 year of a master in arch or have fully completed a accredited arch program. I think they may have made a mistake. 

Mar 24, 14 9:29 am  · 
 · 

You most certainly can earn IDP.  They've made the program much more flexible, and added a large number of opportunities that don't require supervision by an architect.

The eligibility requirement change is recent.  This is an email I have from NCARB:

In October, the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) announced two exciting changes to the Intern Development Program (IDP) that go into effect today, 16 December 2013:

• The removal of the duration requirement allows interns to earn IDP experience regardless of a project’s duration.
  • The simplified eligibility requirement allows interns to begin earning credit upon graduation from high school.
Mar 24, 14 9:50 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

Thanx for the reply Joseph

8D  So, i am technically an Intern Architect.My day is for filled for today,except for the fact that the office is slow today and I'm bored.

Mar 24, 14 10:10 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

I don't think you can log IDP hours for time on Archinect. Although one might argue it should qualify as continuing education. 

Mar 24, 14 11:58 am  · 
 · 
G4tor

@LITS4FromZ, Being on Archinect most certainly qualifies as continuing education. I'm pretty sure it can also qualify as leadership and service and business operations under category 4: practice management. Now to find someone on archinect  that will approve my hours in these categories....

Mar 24, 14 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

NCARB'S RESPONSE 

Response Via Email (Danielle Brokenborough)03/24/2014 10:26 AM

Thank you for contacting the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB).When can I start?

You can earn IDP experience once you have successfully established that you have earned a high school diploma or equivalent. You will need to provide the following information in your NCARB Record:
1.High school name
2.High school address
3.High school graduation date (date of receipt of a high school diploma or equivalent)
If you have any additional questions or comments please contact Customer Service by calling (202) 879-0520, or by email at [email protected]

Sincerely,
Customer Service

maybe i'll ask about archinect for you guy!

Mar 24, 14 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: