Archinect
anchor

Quick question about finishing interior CMU walls?

l3wis

Heya,

I had a fast question about methods for finishing a basement with concrete masonry (CMU) walls. What options are there, exactly, in terms of finishing this kind of surface? I'm really only familiar with two...

Drywall
-either attaching on furring strips or by putting up a stud wall

Stucco/Smooth Plaster

Are there other alternatives for a space people will live in? What's the cheapest option? I guess I need to weigh appearance versus insulating effectiveness versus cost. Thanks for the quick replies.

Feb 27, 10 11:22 pm
holz.box

you might want to insulate those walls... otherwise you'll be heating the backfill.

Feb 28, 10 12:05 am  · 
 · 
dlb

assuming you are considering furring strips or a stud wall, then there is almost nothing you can't finish the surface with:

- wood paneling
- stone veneer
- glass or mirrors
- seal and paint the CMU
etc...

Feb 28, 10 4:33 am  · 
 · 
minimalista

If you intend to leave the walls exposed and uninsulated (although I'm with holz - insulation is probably the best option), the gold standard for concrete and CMU paint is a company called Tnemec (cemenT spelled backwards) http://www.tnemec.com/

Feb 28, 10 10:13 am  · 
 · 
poop876

I had bunch (a lot) of ceiling tiles laying around at my fathers shop. So I screwed boards to the wall and glued the ceiling tiles on top of them and then painted it. Looks pretty cool, gives it some insulation and it was free!!!

Mar 1, 10 10:19 am  · 
 · 
BUILDERGUY

If you didn't waterproof the foundation walls I would be very leary about installing plaster or using lath and drywall.  Too easy for vapor drive or a leak to cause a mold problem.  If you did go to the trouble of installing a real waterproofing product such as Laurenco then you can do just about anything you want.  If you didn't I would suggest painting with Tnemec or maybe using something like Eldorado stone adhered with epoxy.  Tnemec will allow the wall to breathe.  The thin set stone will as well assuming you spot apply the adhesive.  

May 21, 16 11:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: