Archinect
anchor

Looking for software/methods to simulate dynamic systems in suspension

dogsaiddog

I am looking to simulate a hanging system and looking for software or methods to explore configurations of components that I plan to use. Imagine an alexader calder mobile, for example.

In real life, I have rods with consistent diameter but with any size length, made of steel. I have steel cable, and then also cut shapes to hang on the ends. Each component can be weighed, so that I can submit values for mass.

I want to test configurations of these rods in a truss configuration with just the rods as well as using rods and cable in terms of strength to hold the components, seeing which would yield better results vs more material input. 

Also, I'd want to test the effects of putting a weight closer to a fulcrum vs further away, which there are equations for, I know, but I want to be able to test a larger system and be able to output a reliable model of how each element hangs in relation to the others.

I am roughly familiar with rhino and maya, and I know maya does dyanamics, but can it somehow take into account mass? Also, I'm not sure about the accuracy of this animation program.

Are there better methods/programs out there that could help me with this sort of problem?

Thanks!

Mar 24, 14 2:09 pm
t a z

Rhino + Grasshopper + Kangaroo

Mar 24, 14 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

^^^^^

What he/she said

Mar 24, 14 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
TED

ANYSYS - what you're asking needs big-boy toys, not girly toys like grasshopper. :-)

Mar 24, 14 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: