Archinect
anchor

Can an Arch. major do interior design and product design?

Zach Tyler

I'm very inspired by John Pawson whom I know is an architect. But I wanted to know how many architects can do interiors and product design as well. Is an arch. degree the best way to go as far as versatility goes? I really have a passion for interiors but if having an Arch. degree will make me more marketable/able to design more things then so be it. I also would prefer to not have to go to graduate school so please take that into consideration when answering. Thanks in advance! 

Mar 22, 14 10:13 am
Photoshopper
http://www.aiasf.org/programs/competition/design-awards/2013/

Look at interior architecture section. They all are done by architecture firms. All of them except Gensler one are from CCA teachers.
Cheers
Mar 22, 14 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

As a trained product designer and (intern) architect, I can tell you that having an architecture degree prepares you for product design just as well as a product design degree prepares you for architecture - which is to say not at all.  Businesses are run very differently, as are the design processes.

What architecture school could prepare you to do, is to think critically and learn the basics of design - space, colour, balance, bla bla bla.  Then again, so does product design school.

Mar 22, 14 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Zach Tyler

Let me rephrase, I wouldn't go to school for product design just trying to decide between arch and interiors. I was just saying that I see arch firms and interior design firms do product design as well and was wondering how. If I get an Interior Architecture degree can I become a licensed architect afterwards? Thank you for the responses by the way.

Mar 22, 14 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Don't let architects fool you into thinking they also do product design - it exists but is extremely, extremely rare for anything other than one-off custom furniture (cabinets etc) they can justify putting into an architecture commission. As for mass-produced items designed by architects, this is about as rare as unicorn sightings.

with my background in product (industrial) design, I've got a decent knowledge and affinity for millwork design. Maybe that, or exhibition design, could be your thing. Neither requires a master degree, either. There are opportunities out there for interior and architecture grads in these realms, as long as you don't mind starting at the bottom (which is true of any profession right now, anyway).

Mar 22, 14 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Sorry, by 'starting at the bottom' I meant getting a job building cabinets, or assembling exhibitions, or being a CAD tech, etc.  Your employer doesn't have to be an architecture or interior design firm, either. You could work for a manufacturer, for example.

Mar 22, 14 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: