Archinect
anchor

M.Arch advice please: U.Wash. vs. U.Oregon vs. CCA

parametric.ego

University of Washington, (Seattle, WA)

2013 Architecture Department Report (admissions, stats, statements, etc...)

Vs.

University of Oregon, (Eugene/Portland, OR)

2012 Architecture Department Report (admissions, stats, statement, etc...)

Vs.

California College of the Arts, (Oakland, CA)

I'll try and keep this short and sweet. 

These are three programs I applied and been accepted into. I could really use the additional perspective and insight discerning the major differences. I'm hoping to either supplement my degree with landscape architecture or components or urban planning. I already have considerable digital and analog fabrication experience, and am primarily looking for a place that can offer the best opportunity to mature as an architect and connect into a professional space.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Or if you're a fellow student who has been accepted to these schools and have thoughts or interests, please share them. 

My priorities, in weighted order are: 

1. Facilities and Faculty: to support the research and craft in innovative mediums.  

2. Professional Integration: while attending school and working in nearby cities. 

3. Cross Disciplinary: study or possible dual degree  (landscape, urban planning, etc.)

4. Student Matriculation: "iron sharpens iron"

Questions I have:

How do the reputations of these schools differ in the professional, west coast industry? 

How much do you think the matriculation, competitiveness of a program affect one's own academic progress/growth? 

Has anyone noticed a difference in the way a public school vs. a private school's curriculum and policies differ? 

How much value should be placed on a school's location? 

Mar 21, 14 2:56 pm
theunicorn

What I have heard about UO is that people love it there, but they stress hand drawing, not using software. So that's why I eliminated that program from my list of schools to apply to; I don't have an architecture/design background and really need the extra training.

I think the facilities or curriculum or something about UW was supposedly outdated, but people still say good things about the program and connections you make in Seattle and the west coast.

Don't know anything about CCA.

Out of the three, I'd probably go with UO and do my best to learn the computer programs on my own. Also Eugene is supposed to be beautiful, and I'm pretty sure you can apply to transfer to their Portland program.

Mar 26, 14 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
theunicorn

Oh, and UO has minors that you can get in other design areas. But UW does have an urban planning concentration or certificate...

Mar 26, 14 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
parametric.ego

Thank you for the response. I've heard similar comments about the UW and UO as well.

I still have several burning questions: 

How much does anyone read into rankings? (Oregon ranked #3 in Sustainable Design for 2013 by Design Intelligence.)

How does the competitiveness of a program ultimately affect one's education? ( UO acceptance rate is ~50% and UW is < 30% ) 

Why is CCA such a mystery? Does reputation necessarily trump access to resources/facilities/faculty? 

Much thanks in advance. 

Mar 27, 14 4:30 am  · 
 · 
Cizz

If I were interested in craft in innovative mediums I would go to CCA , they have experimental studios like this http://www.future-cities-lab.net/blog/2013/11/3/creative-architecture-machines-cca-fall-2013,   That support emerging tech. Not to mention that they they have the principals from future cities lab teaching there . ( Jason green + Natalie Gattengo )

I'm not sure on UW but I have friends  that go there. They say UW are now more theoretical and have a good wood shop.

I go to Oregon and they have nothing like this in terms of studio options. Primarily in your first year at Oregon you hand draft and towards the end you are able to work with software.   They do focus more on actual "buildings" here and lean towards the practical side of arch. So if You want to work on more digital parametric stuff , I would say that going to CCa would be your best bet , if you go to the open houses just look at the student work and faculty that relates towards your  interest and see if they fit . 

Mar 27, 14 7:50 am  · 
 · 
nycdesigns

Let's throw another clarification in this mix. The OT is coming in as a graduate student. So some of the things ppl mention about Oregon being heavy on the hand media are over inflated and sometimes dismissive.

At the undergraduate level, the UO has always tried to give you a foundation of traditional skills. Presentations used to be a lot more mixed media, less so now. Another controversial move, design studios were pass / no pass to promote sharing of ideas in studio. At the graduate level, you are there for let's say 3 to 4 years (less). There's not going to be that so called pressure to use solely traditional skills.

I have worked with enough principles who have said repeatedly, they place more weight on the candidates who are balanced (traditional sketching and digital media). Being that I have done reviews recently, I notice more emphasis on digital media.

If you have a strong background in digital media, there should be nothing stopping you from applying to Oregon and working with your faculty to continue that strong focus and work on some additional skills as you get through studio. If you can visit the UO, take a look. You may also notice a difference in how Eugene's location feels from the Portland location.

Mar 28, 14 7:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: