Archinect
anchor

Yet again, a UCLA and SCI-Arc topic

brunchEGGS

So I know this topic has been discussed many times on Archinect since I've been reading up many past threads regarding UCLA and SCI Arc. But I still have questions and doubts... I want some insider information aside from what the schools will be selling. So if any one of you know the schools well or is an alumnus and can help me out, that'd be greatly appreciated. This thread relates to UCLA's M.Arch I and SCI-Arc's M.Arch II. 

1) What are the fundamental differences between SCI-Arc and UCLA in terms of the MArch programs? From what I can see from their course breakdown, SCI-Arc's thesis is more project based and you are free to explore whatever topic that you're interested in. Whereas UCLA's is more about research and the topics are set by the instructor. And it seems like there will be more than 1 research studio project, so you get to produce more projects.

2) What do you like and what do you not like about the school/ program/ studio/ politics within UCLA or SCI- Arc?

3) Where are you now post grad? 

Personally, I want the best of both worlds... a perfect balance of research experience (I think UCLA would be able to offer me that), and really experimenting and executing theoretical ideas (SCI-Arc seems to be encouraging that as it is a highly experimental playground). Dilemma, dilemma. Oh, and as of now, the tuition works out to be about the same. 

Mar 21, 14 2:01 pm
Bwatson

Does any recent grad or current student know whether you get anything like a desktop, site visits, or any other perks for the tuition you have to pay at either school. 

Mar 23, 14 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I had the same question years ago, and decided to go to UCLA, mostly because it is part of a larger university system, (and that implies all the additional resources, lectures, etc that the college has). Arguably the UCLA visiting faculty was also better back then...

Mar 23, 14 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

When were you there, sameolddoc?

Mar 23, 14 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Shampoo is better. I go on first and clean the hair.

Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth.

Mar 23, 14 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Mar 23, 14 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Ah, and I thought you might be an old guy like me.  I was there 1995-97.  Good times....

Mar 23, 14 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Good times indeed. Things seem to have changed quite a lot, although I did wish we had the new Satellite campus in Playa Del Ray with all the cool robotics etc.

Mar 23, 14 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Actually bruchEGGS, you might wanna check out the IDEAS campus, it seems really interesting, and something that might help set UCLA apart from SCIARC (I know Sciarc also has a robotics lab, but the Ideas campus sounds more comprehensive)

http://www.aud.ucla.edu/ideas.html

Mar 23, 14 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
brunchEGGS

Thanks sameolddoctor, and I agree with you on the IDEAS campus. Just that I'm not eligible to apply to M.Arch II at UCLA because of my degree is Bachelors of Architectural Science (pre professional), otherwise I would have applied in a heartbeat... Canada is just strange, getting rid of all Bachelor of Architecture across the country in general these recent years. 

Ya, another thing that UCLA has more of an upper hand on SCI-Arc is definitely its larger university name... I think it would help if in the future should I decide to do something applicable outside of architecture- say combing architecture with tech or something. BUT Sci-Arc offers the technicality of exploration. Dilemma, dilemma.

Mar 24, 14 12:17 am  · 
 · 
insomniarch

@brunchEGGS

I do not know much about the UCLA program... But I am a SCI-Arc grad.

I have to say...The cross platform research, encouragement to explore who you are as a designer, and the amazing faculty at SCI-Arc was an experience I will always be grateful for.  Plus... we are getting a new "Magic Box" http://www.sciarc.edu/portal/about/magic_box/index.html 

Have you visited the different campuses? That was the big decision maker for myself. Best of luck in wherever you choose to go! And yes I am a bit biased... ha

Mar 24, 14 1:05 am  · 
 · 
brunchEGGS

@insomniarch

What kind of cross platform research were you doing at SCI-Arc? Would you mind elaborating more on that? Like working with the in school profs, industry, other fields? Were you in the M.Arch II program?

Mar 24, 14 10:45 am  · 
 · 
batman

UCLA for sure.

Mar 24, 14 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: