Archinect
anchor

When win a competition is not only about architecture

Hi folks, I wonna create a discussion about Open Competition.

After 3 unsuccessful competitions you understand that somethimes (maybe most of all) is not only about a good design or good theory behind your project. 

Win an idea competiton is about years of experience of analysing jury, competiton brief and read underline what the commission ask to your project. And of course your goal is to create an amzing panels and presentation.

Isn't? 

Do you agree with me? is it more than project and something more similar to market analysis?

Feel free to write your point of you young architects !

Mar 21, 14 10:49 am
grneggandsam

I think some of the big competition (such as the Evolo Skyscraper) have so many entries, that they filter them with a political views.  They seem to select many people from "up and coming" economies to win, and my theory is that this is because they would like to make a splash and say "hey china, your designers can have great innovative ideas, despite communist government policies"

Mar 21, 14 11:10 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

It's because the judges choose the projects that they themselves would have done.  FG will pick things that look like FG buildings and so on.  

Mar 21, 14 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

It's never just about the design. Politics run deep in all design competitions.

Mar 21, 14 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

I don't agree on the exclusivity of good panels and presentation = good design.

The problem might be on tight evaluation times, with the big amount of competition entries things are discussed on successive runs, until a small selection that can be properly analysed with due detail and proper discussion.

First impressions matter, a lot.

If you feel that you haven't been made justice yet, you can always try again, it's great experience, good portfolio material and if you try hard enough, you always win (even if not the final prize)

www.ctrl-space.net

Jul 14, 14 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: