Archinect
anchor

Internships in International Offices in Germany?

offing

Hello all,

I'm an American student studying a full-time Bachelor's in The Netherlands, and would like to find an internship in an international office in Munich or Berlin. I lived in Germany for two years before starting school, and I really liked it there. Not to mention the job market is a lot better than in The Netherlands. My German is conversational, but not good enough for a professional job, I fear. Hence the reason looking for an international office. I don't need the internship until next April, but would like to start searching now so I'm prepared for the application process in September/October 2014.

Questions are:

Is it reasonable to hope to find a job where speaking fluent German is not necessary?

What is the best way to go about applying for an internship? 

I'm open to other countries as well, UK would be another choice but more difficult as I have friends in Munich and Berlin that I could live with for a few months but don't know anyone in the UK. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Mar 21, 14 10:50 am
IamGray

No German fluency is fine. A fair bit of competition for jobs means it will certainly help though.  But if you say your language level is "conversational" than I'd argue that's enough to get by in a normal office environment. Sure, you might not know what a Geschossdecke or a Leistungsphase is, but you'll get the hang of things quickly.

The best way to go about it? Simply find the offices you'd be interested in working for and send them an email. Include a well written, targeted cover-letter, a German conforming CV (including birthdate and GASP! a photo), and a sample portfolio (keep it super brief, next to no text, probably only 4 or 5 projects. A teaser really), with a link to a more comprehensive portfolio online or the promise to send more detailed work if they're interested. 

You might have luck applying from Holland, but you'll get more response if you're already in Berlin. Generally, I'd say your chances of finding work will be quite high. Finding well-paid work however could be more difficult. Interns usually make 800euro and less. 600 for example at a big Berlin firm with London ties (not naming any names ;) ).

If you've got a masters degree, then whatever you do, don't call yourself an intern / ask for an internship. 2000/month before taxes should be your realistic minimum.

best of luck!

Mar 21, 14 11:49 am  · 
 · 

I worked as a junior architect/designer (avoid the term intern at all costs!) in Berlin for 1.5 years. The job market is very difficult - around 13% unemployment overall - but if you have exceptional skills, you may get offered something. More than likely you will get a lot of offers for 'mini-jobs' or 'praktikums' of 400-800 eur/month. If you are living with room mates and keep your costs low, which is easy to do in Berlin, and assuming they don't tax you on your 'mini-job', you could make it work on 800. Hard, but doable.

I can't speak for Munich, the job market is better but they are less flexible with language it seems, and finding an apartment is like next to impossible unless you know someone you can live with. It's also much more expensive than Berlin, though not as much as the UK.

If you can get a 'real' position (not praktikum) in Berlin, as a foreigner who doesn't speak German very well you will probably not make the 'typical' wage of a recent grad. I was told  at one office that since I didn't speak German fluently, that they'd pay me 400 eur less per month than a German grad. You can expect realistically around 1500-1800 eur/month (after taxes this is 900-1100) depending on your skills and experience.

Good luck!

Mar 21, 14 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

@offing 

try , barkow leibinger, henn architekten, chipperfield, gmp (the SOM of germany) and sauerbuch, these are all in Berlin. I am sure there are more offices where a bit of english is acceptable. You don't need to speak German, however that is preferable, so if you know it a bit that should help.  I realized not to be afraid to bargain a little with the germans, they always try to make some excuse up to pay you crap, however if you bargain for more it can work. I managed to bargain higher than my colleagues, and some ppl were paid far less then others. 

Some offices prefer printed portfolio's others like digital. Just send them what they specify on their websites on how to apply. 

Mar 21, 14 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
bugaluu

Hey offing,

how was your experience? I am in a similar position as you were, looking to gather information on what offices are good. I have an a M.Arch, but wondering is it still able to get an internship position if nothing else is free.

Feb 14, 16 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: