Archinect
anchor

Heavy Snow and Concrete Balconies

lynch654

Question:  I have a large concrete balcony.  It is 1/2 moon shaped and extends from the outside of one sliding glass door to the outside of the other sliding glass door.  There is approximately 29" between each door.  On one end of the balcony is where the furnace and air conditioning unit are stored on a storage area.  On the other end of the balcony is a storage unit for misc. items.

Because of all the heavy snow this winter I have shoveled my balcony off thinking that the snow could be too heavy and could cause some structural damage.  There is a truss under my concrete balcony.

Could the heavy snow cause structural damage?  

Thank you.

Mar 20, 14 5:08 pm
gruen
No
Mar 20, 14 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
lynch654

Thank you for your information.  Appreciate it.

Mar 21, 14 10:38 am  · 
 · 
poop876

sure it can...that is why we can snow load in our calculations when designing buildings. Not that all depends how that balcony was designed and how much snow you were getting....

Mar 21, 14 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Balcony supported on 3 sides per OPs description. 60-100 PSF design load depending on climate plus 15% for the transient snow load. OP shoveled off the snow anyway. No damage done.
Mar 21, 14 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

No the OP's question is reasonable. The basis of load calculation it the 100 year event, and in  quote a few places this year we were within a year or so of that event. I'd rather shovel snow a couple of times off my balcony than deal with an entire build ing insurance claim.

Just one question -- where did you put it once you had shoveled it?

Mar 21, 14 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

on the balcony below!

Mar 24, 14 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: