Archinect
anchor

Best City to practice Architecture

grneggandsam

I was recently brooding on how masochistic I've been with my life decision (I probably shouldn't be such a complainer) when I started to think about what the other possibilities are.  I work in Washington DC, which went through a huge boom in 2011-2012, but has more or less plateaued out now.  I'm seeing other cities pick up steam, and seeing how expensive it is to live here and wondering what the other possibilities are?  Plus, I doubt if I'll ever be able to afford to own a house here... at least for a looong time.

I looked up cities with the highest pay for architects.  Take a look here: http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/architect/salary Interestingly, DC is not on the list.  My theory is; with so many architects competing in the DC market, and with the market so heavily focused on gov work, only a handful of architects here get to make it big.  And they make it really big.  Other cities has less competition, and more money for architectural services.  Its not all about money, though.  For me, I would rather focus on opportunity and lifestyle.  I probably would never want to live in Texas (besides Austin), but Pittsburgh might be fun.

It seems the average architect doesn't fair too poorly at $81,000 a year.  I don't know where they are hiding, but they must be out there somewhere... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earnings_for_architects  What do you guys think?  Any preference on big cities vs small?  More opportunity here, or there?

Mar 20, 14 10:24 am
gruen
It's a mix- you want a large enough city to have an actual economy, but not too many archi schools as compared to the population. NYC for example - great economy and design culture, but loads of competition for jobs. I prefer midsized cities, but some large ones are great. I really enjoyed living in Houston, since you mention TX.
Mar 20, 14 10:40 am  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

If you don't mind me asking - what was it you liked about Houston?  I know they don't have a zoning code - so I imagine it might have a more opportunistic economic environment (promoting self-made people)

Mar 20, 14 10:56 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I have been doing a lot of research lately on what cities have the best economies and most economical advancement for young professions, not necessarily architects, but best for ppl in their late 20's and early 30's altogether.

I noticed that there seem to be a line running north to south from North Dakota to Minneapolis, to Des Monies and Omaha to Edmond and Oklahoma City down to Dallas and Austin to Houston that seems to have the strongest economies for young professionals in the nation. 

Do remember that destinations like Denver and the like might have strong economies at the moment, but due to the desirability of the location, competition for jobs in architecture are cut-throat and salary advancement rarer than say some place like Salt Lake City or Park City Utah, which has the mountains but also the religious zealots. But Utah is probably a much better place for a young architect than Denver.

Other places predicted to see a good real estate market for 2014 are Tampa, Fort Worth, Baltimore, Indianapolis.

Mar 20, 14 11:03 am  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

Funny that you mentioned Edmond, its where I grew up.  Its such a slow city and kind of boring - but perhaps boring cities offer more opportunity for architects to make the built environment more exciting.  Lots of land, low real estate costs, and oil money makes the place super affordable with a local economy, and allows for things like this to happen: http://www.news9.com/story/24959146/edmond-mega-mansion-could-become-largest-home-in-us.  Feels like I'm in the shire from LOTR when I visit, heh..

Mar 20, 14 11:53 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

DC here- I've been offered all over the board in salary.  I wouldn't say that pay is too bad and I love the lifestyle. The problem I have with DC is how banal the firms are... maybe the region leans traditional but still.  Any thoughts on international cities?   

Mar 20, 14 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

Either Springfield or Bikini Bottom.

Mar 20, 14 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

I'll take Bikini Bottom.  Maybe I've just gotten unlucky with the firms I've worked for in DC.  Things always get slow and really boring..  and I just hate scrambling to try to find projects and solicitations all the time...

Mar 20, 14 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Yes, Houston is very accepting of entrepreneurs. It also has a great art scene. I even liked the weather.
Mar 20, 14 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

I've driven through Houston before - I remember a lot of massive highways and chain link fencing.  They also have a lot of mcmansions.  I like to have a walkable urban core - but maybe they just need more designers interested in creating one?

Mar 20, 14 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

Also - I'm very appreciative of the openness to entrepreneurs there.

Mar 20, 14 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

My girlfriend would never be down to move to Houston, though...

Mar 20, 14 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
homme_du_jura

Houston is a lively, dynamic city, with great art and also some of the best dining to be had anywhere. Your buck will go far there.

Just up the road is the DFW metroplex, where there many opportunities for ambitious architects and a large collection of offices representing the world's biggest design firms.  Downtown Dallas is undergoing a renaissance of sorts with new museums, a wonderful park spanning over a highway and lots of new multi-family construction. Apartments in the CBD are pretty affordable, and access to the extensive DART lightrail network is just a few steps away.

Mar 20, 14 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: