Archinect
anchor

Graduate School Location and Opportunities Outside of Area

etinoco

I'm constantly hearing that one must go to graduate school where he or she wants to end up living for the rest of their lives, because of connections and job opportunities. How much of this is true? 

I would hate to end up in debt just to go to a school where I really want to live in the future, considering its not a guarantee that I will find a job; in comparison to going to a school with cheaper tuition that's located somewhere I do not want to end up in after I finish my Masters.

Is it likely to find a job outside of your graduate school network/state and be successful?

How many of you were able to find a decent paying job, or "make it big" in a different state than the one you completed your masters in?

Thanks in advance 

Mar 19, 14 4:56 pm
allenmd07

One of my former professors went to a state school in the south for his masters and then got a job in New York. Its not the degree that really matters, its your portfolio, experience and perseverance. 

Mar 19, 14 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
etinoco

@allenmd07

Yea I'm always hearing that, and I'm hoping its true. I would hate to go out into the "real" architecture world and learn its all about who you know and where you've lived.

Mar 20, 14 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Going to a school in the area you want to live in provides you the opportunity to create connections with professionals in the area.  With getting a job that's a huge advantage.  That being said, I was able to get a job in a major US market from the Midwest. It's all up to your portfolio.  

Mar 20, 14 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: