Archinect

You need NASA study to tell you that? It's not exactly rocket science. 

Mar 19, 14 8:29 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Civilization officially ended when American Idol became a top-rated TV show.

Now, we're just running on fumes...

Mar 19, 14 10:53 am  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

something they left out: The "elites" making all the money know that if they had to play on the same field as everyone else, incomes would be much more equitable.  Luckily, they have the government to solve that problem.  Make it nearly impossible for others to become licensed and compete with your firm, then have publicly funded work (which is much tougher to break into) pay your income.  Make sure that the rules for getting gov. contracts cater to the established businesses as well.

Mar 19, 14 11:17 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

the elites making all the money?  getting a license does not mean you make a lot of money.  getting a license does not mean you become 'elite.'  getting a license does not mean the government will step in and give you publicly funded work.  if you're a really good at designing buildings and attracting clients, and you want to compete with your boss, quit you job, take the clients, and then just pay your boss to rubber stamp the drawings.  that's how it works.  once society collapses, you won't need a stamp anyway.

when people talk about the wealthy elite, i'm pretty sure they aren't talking about licensed architects.

then they end the article with this:

Well, at least zombies aren't real.

sigh.  it's the end.  and the zombies are coming.  prepare.

Mar 19, 14 11:53 am  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

A license does not guarantee you will make lots of money, and neither does government work.  Unfortunately, the way I've seen things go - what does make lots of money is connections.  Your design ability doesn't really seem to matter.  Have connections to wall-street developers and the government and you can do wonders.  I'm pretty sure I've seen some firm owners that make between $3-$7 million a year this way.  Of course, companies are trying to change the structure of things, which could make it more equitable. Take a look at https://www.fundrise.com/  The Jobs act could help as well by opening up investing restrictions.

Mar 19, 14 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Miles, I knew we were fucked but thought things would hold out until I was old and useless and others could hunt squirls for me.  But geez 15 years...Now I'm gonna have to do stuff.  

Mar 19, 14 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: