Archinect
anchor

Negotiating Entry Level Salary at Famous Design Firm

abcyuen

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience negotiating their salary out of school at some of the higher profile design firms (DS+R, OMA, HdM, etc.)  Is it even possible to do so given the demand for openings at these places?

Without being to presumptuous, I would like to be prepared in the case that the firm that I just  had a very positive interview with comes back soon with a job offer.  I'm a fresh graduate but I do have a good amount of experience under my belt, most recently  a yearlong internship at a similarly tiered firm. Would these firms be taken aback if I were to ask for more money or would they consider me a pushover if I were to accept their initial offer?

Mar 18, 14 9:49 pm
chigurh

ask for what you think you are worth

Mar 18, 14 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Note: this is second hand information, and perhaps not up-to-date (from 2012), but a former colleague (in Berlin) who later went on to work at OMA Rotterdam told me that basically everyone who comes to the office as a fresh graduate gets offered a 6month job at intern pay. They keep stringing you along at these 6 month intervals until either a) after 2 years you're hired on full or b) you're sent packing.

Mar 19, 14 4:53 am  · 
 · 
natematt
I'm sure it depends on the firm. If they offer you a reasonable sum to begin with then it suggests they are not just trying to use there name to get cheap employees. In such a case I think you could negotiate if the waters seem right. Might be tough to gain leverage though unless they are really set on hireing you.

If they offer you peanuts then I doubt you are going to be able to negotiate much.
Mar 19, 14 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
trail.runner

I would check out the AIA Compensation report. It breaks it down by city/area, firm size, and work experience.

Mar 19, 14 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: