Archinect
anchor

Architecture vs Interior Architecture?

beckyhall2468

Hi all

I am currently at sixth form college studying Physics, Graphic Design and Tudor History. I am very interested in becoming an architect and have been for many years. Its reached the stage where I have to start looking at universities and therefore courses. I have come across both Architecture courses and Interior Architecture something I hadn't heard of before. What I am looking for is a career that I can design the exterior of buildings but I would also like to design interior elements like stairs, kitchens, layouts of rooms etc. Therefore I am a bit stumped about what to do as I have done research but don't really understand the difference? Also which would be better suited to me? There is a course near me that is a BAHons in Interior Architecture and Design but is this a less credible course than an architecture course? Is it less recognised and therefore am I less likely to recieve jobs and lower pay? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Becky

Mar 18, 14 10:18 am
Non Sequitur

architecture > interior design by about a cubic light-year. Any decent architect can do both disciplines without much problems but an interior designer cannot do architecture regardless of how much they insist.

interior architecture is not a thing, it's just a re-branding effort for insecure interior designers.

Mar 18, 14 10:24 am  · 
 · 
beckyhall2468

So as an architect is it possible to design interior elements like, for example, staircases? 

Thanks

Mar 18, 14 10:28 am  · 
 · 
C. Watts

Yes. In architecture school you are encouraged to design interior aspects as well (quite a few of my professors absolutely loved it when we designed kick ass staircases). .  Interior architecture(design) deals more with materials, furniture, colors, etc.  

Mar 18, 14 10:35 am  · 
 · 
beckyhall2468

Well that has pretty much made up my mind! Thank you 

Mar 18, 14 10:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

C.Watts is correct. I've never seen an int-des even consider detailing a staircase. It's just not something most know how to do. Architecture will open you up to all aspects of design and construction. Interior design is much more limited.

Mar 18, 14 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Yerzhan Aubakirov

Well, I'am studying int.architecture (3rd year) and we have structural mechanics, building construction, and building regulations modules. And we do a lot of detailing work as well as modeling and exterior. So i don't see "that huge" differencce between int.arch and arch.

Mar 18, 14 6:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: