Archinect
anchor

New User searching for BIM software

BIMuser703

Hello, our company is currently looking into learning BIM software operations and potentially bidding on small scale projects. We've currently been checking out AutoDesk's Revit, Graphisoft's ArchiCad 17, and Vectorwork's Architect. Other than the pricing, we cannot distinguish too many differences in the software. We would love to hear some input from BIM users who might have tried any of these software. Any of your input with BIM experiences would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Matt R

Mar 17, 14 2:34 pm
Roshi

I don't know much about Vectorworks, however, Revit and ArchiCAD are virtually the same in quality. They try to outdo each other with each new version, and you'll find people making arguments for both. I believe someone said that Revit has slightly better built-in rendering capabilities and video potential vs ArchiCAD having a simpler user interface.

However, If you are working out of the States, then I would recommend Revit. ArchiCAD is a lot more popular overseas in Europe. I worked for a firm in the states who used ArchiCAD (I learned it on the job) and they told me that something like 5% of firms who use BIM in the States use ArchiCAD. That means its harder for them to hire people adept in that software, vs Revit, and ArchiCAD may not be as easily compatible with other Autodesk software as Revit is.

Mar 17, 14 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@BIMuser703

Hi,

As being BIM user since 2003 and having used both applications (revit and Archi.) I can say for sure that the Revit has more capabilities and is a way advanced. It's very common across the US as well.

ArchiCAD has a great usage across the continental Europe but not in the US.

Revit has got a way better tool for modeling. phasing, filtering, construction management, parametric abilities etc. however has not got as good documentation and publishing tool as as ArchiCAD got.

I need to run now.

I'll write later.

happy Patrick day !

Mar 17, 14 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: