Archinect
anchor

And this is how you win friends and impress clients....

Looks like someone is trying to impress a client! - 

DESK FILLER AT ARCH FIRM NEEDED- KNOWLEDGE OF CAD A PLUS (SoHo)
Date: 2011-06-10, 11:58AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Persons needed to fill seats at architectural office for 2 hours on Monday June 13
Hours are 4:00pm to 6:00pm. Pay is $25/hr for 2 hours.

Dress is business casual. Knowledge of CAD a major plus.
•         Compensation: $25/hr
•         This is a part-time job.

At least they're paying..... 

And before we judge, remember that one very famous architect ( Caeser Pelli I believe - if not all apologies) did this very same thing to land his first big job, except that he marched his students at Yale down to his 'studio' space for the client tour....

Jun 11, 11 3:13 pm
Bench

We had a lecture from a local design firm at our S of A from the principal, he said they scored their first big job by going out and getting a bunch of monitors + desks (rented for a couple hours). When the client came into the office in the morning to find a roomful of working equipment, the two principals told the client that they had finished a large deadline the day before and that they had given the other 4 employees the day off. They won the project too (they already had it in the bag, the office set-up was just to show they weren't a two-bit hole in the wall).

Jun 11, 11 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

MVRDV got the Villa VPRO in the same style, they had a buch of friends pretending to be employees, und some others calling the office constantly during the meeting, to impress the client with the "dynamic atmosphere". Not much harm done either way. Especially since the office from this ad pays more than some internships...

Jun 11, 11 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
newguy

Sounds like a good opportunity for a fresh graduate to get himself/herself a job at an arch firm if they get the commission.

Jun 12, 11 12:46 am  · 
 · 
burningman

4-6, that's 50 beans that will go to 6-8 happy hour

Jun 12, 11 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

I love that they are paying their desk-fillers.  LOVE it.  Good for them and I hope they get the job.

I'm pretty hard-line about professional ethics but somehow I have absolutely no problem with desk filling for interviews.  I've done it myself and I've worked in firms that did it.  I don't see it any differently than putting on a nicer suit for the interview than you'd typically wear to work.

And the fact that this firm is actually paying their go-getter seat fillers = awesome.  Like newguy said, anything to get your foot in the door!

Jun 13, 11 9:14 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i know firms that have done this for saturday interviews with clients.  like, make everyone come in and sit at their desk for three hours while the clients are there.  

Jun 13, 11 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Desk fillers for the win.  What's the old saying - "fake it 'till you make it."

Jun 13, 11 10:41 am  · 
 · 
****melt

For $50 and just two hours of my life, I would totally be "desk filler".  I hope they get the project.

Jun 13, 11 10:54 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

8 minutes 'til the desk filler fills the desk!

Jun 13, 11 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Considering how hard it is to get those kind of wages for actually doing work, using your brain, producing something, etc, this is a bit ridiculous.

Jun 14, 11 8:58 am  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

I feel like a desk filler everyday....crappy dull mind numbing projects that are the fingernails on the chalkboard of my soul....

Jun 14, 11 11:33 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i'll take your job if you don't want it, tali

Jun 14, 11 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

I'd quit, but I still have that loaf of bread on lay-a-way that I'm hoping to pay off with my next pay check..

Jun 14, 11 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: