Archinect
anchor

2014 Cornell / UCLA M.Arch I admissions!!!!!

mhtdby

Hey all, 

Congratulations first to people who has got into their dream schools, and cheer up to those still choosing /waiting for the school like me!

Sorry for start a new thread Im sure there are people who already asked/answer this question but I really hope to get opinions on those two. 

Im still waiting for a few schools ilke michigan and columbia but my choice is mostly between these two:  UCLA and CORNELL, and really can't decide which one to go to!! Can any one give any comment/suggestions on either of the schools?

UCLA:  Its nice that they gave full in-state fellowship, that means I'll have much less financial burdens in the next three years. And the location is nice as well! Nice city with sunshine! The only thing it I'm not sure if the style of UCLA suits me by looking at their students work. Looks like they are quite computer-heavy and very much focused on digital fabrication? I might be wrong tho!

CORNELL: Got part scholarship but still a lot of money to pay! Does anything think ithaca is a little bit remote(but probably safer) and worry about career opportunity? But i really like the works of their students from what i saw on website! 

I know that my impression is very subjective. So if any current students or people knows anything about  those two schools please advice! Especially the size of the studio, design approaches, faculty teaching style, alumni network, and campus experience etc etc!! Anything!

Many many thanks! if anyone is applying those two and would like to share anything here that would be great!

Mar 13, 14 4:34 pm
mhtdby

Oh by the way, 

Who's going to ucla and cornell's open house??

Mar 13, 14 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
batman

UCLA FOR SURE.

CORNELL's M.ARCH isnt well developed like UCLA. YOU HAVE PROFESSORS LIKE GREG LYNN, THOM MAYNE, NEIL DENARI, SYLVIA LAVIN, DANA CUFF, ETC TEACHING AT UCLA. THEY'RE ALL PROGRESSIVE PROFESSORS TRYING TO EXPAND THEIR EXPERTISE. 

AND LOCATION MATTERS.

LOS ANGELES IS A GREAT PLACE TO STUDY ARCHITECTURE. GREAT TRENDY PLACE. 

BEING COMPUTER HEAVY IS A GOOD THING. YOU WANT TO BE IN THE TREND THAN NOT. 

Mar 13, 14 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

I was also accepted at UCLA, and at Michigan. Still waiting for Columbia too. Also interested in and accepted at Tulane and Oregon, even though they are not as prestigious. I wonder how much weight that holds when looking for work after graduation.

I feel similarly to you regarding UCLA and its focus on digital. Of course, computers are great and important and you will learn the programs in any M.Arch program. But not all of us are interested in pushing digital boundaries. My interests lie more in pushing social boundaries, for example. Also, given the financial crunch the UCs have been in, I'd be considered with if their digital fabrication equipment is up to date. I have heard great things about the equipment at Michigan, btw. I also don't believe that Starchitects always make the best studio professors.

LA is certainly an interesting place to live (I spent 1.5 years there). Lots of stuff to do, some interesting architecture happening. It can also be a difficult place to live in terms of connecting to people and you have to love driving. This will be somewhat counteracted by living near campus and being part of a closeknit M.Arch program. Westwood is a very nice, safe neighborhood.

I have friends who went to Cornell and advised me not to apply. Although, apparently there were changes in the dept. while they were there and other years felt more positively about their experience there. I imagine they have excellent equipment since Cornell has money to throw around.

My apologies for these two pieces of slightly negative information. It's what I have to offer. Congrats on the fellowship; that's awesome! Will you be at the UCLA Open House?

Mar 13, 14 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
mhtdby

@batman

Hey thanks! what do you mean by M.Arch ucla isn't as developed like UCLA? you mean the program?

Aren't some of the big names also visiting prof. in Cornell?

Mar 13, 14 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
mhtdby

@iematraveler

Hi! congraz on your admission as well! wow michigan hasn't sent me anything, might be a bad sign..

But anyway negative comments are good comments too! that could be some question to be raised when I do the campus visiting! 

Some ppl say that its important where you want to work in the future - say if you want to work on east coast - i.e. nyc, it might be better to be in cornell. and likewise if west coast is the preference then maybe ucla is a good choice. I know this is not definite, cuz people can travel around if they determined to do so. But i have done quite a lot of travels and hopefully can start at some place and not moving too much in the future… 

I've only be in LA for like a few days, but live in nyc for 1.5 year. I like nyc but sometimes feel a bit overwhelmed. quite like the LA being spread out

Oh I am going to cornell open house for sure, but  90% going to ucla. (cus i have to fly there and bak again and flight to LA again for another travel. That's why i'd like to post something here to get some more ideas!  You going right?

Mar 13, 14 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
iematraveler

Yeah, I'll be there. (I'm in SF so it's not too hard.)

It's true that we should be prepared to stick around an area after graduation, since that's where we'll be making connections. That said, in California, it does feel like there's a Norcal and Socal architectural divide. At UCLA you're likely to make good Socal connections, but not so much Bay Area connections (GO BEARS!)

LA will DEFINITELY feel different than NYC. You should definitely visit. It's actually a really fun place to visit. Downtown is really happening. Venice is great (I lived there). There are lots of museums and events and great cheap food. It's 75 degrees in SF right now, so it's probably in the 80s in LA! As long as you can learn to love driving and traffic and figuring out how to get home from a bar late at night.

Mar 13, 14 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
batman

if youre not into digital then why are you applying to columbia?

Mar 13, 14 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
mhtdby

@iematraveler 

Always thought California as a state and haven't really thinking about the Norcal and Socal issue! 

Ok i've made my mind going to the ucla open house! :)  See you there! 

ucla haven't release the timetable i guess, should be soon. 

Mar 14, 14 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Hsin-Han Lee

Cornell > UCLA

May 22, 14 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: