Archinect
anchor

Things critics say at final reviews.... need your opinion

designer_jawn

Last semester, one of my final review critics said to me "you are the victim of your own success, so congratulations". I ask a couple of my friends and a few professors but they still had no idea what that meant. Does anybody have any insight about it?

Mar 12, 14 10:16 am
curtkram

i assume it was a compliment.  other than that, hard to tell without more context.  i wasn't there....

Mar 12, 14 10:51 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

I wouldn't dwell on what a critic said, good or bad. 

Mar 12, 14 10:54 am  · 
 · 
Thecyclist

You don't have to listen to your professor's or critics...in fact, I would almost encourage going against them so you can learn something yourself. I commonly hear students say, "Well, they said I needed to do this so that's what I'm figuring out right now." This really has nothing to do with the OP's question, it more is built upon the last comment. I thought I'd throw it out there.

@OP, when they said victim, perhaps they were alluding to a downfall in your project as a result of a good design decision...what the two oppositions were in the context of the design you'll have to decide.

Mar 12, 14 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

It might have meant you tried hard to follow your concept and ended up in a bizarre place, but at least you not only had an idea but stayed true to it.  but no one here really knows what was meant by a comment in a review.

I hate to sound like a broken record but: I strongly suggest to all students to share taking notes during one anothers' reviews.  You write down what they say to a buddy, and s/he writes what they say to you.  That way you can go back and digest the conversation after you've had some sleep... it's very hard to absorb what's being said in the moment, especially when you're tired.

Mar 12, 14 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist

Since nearly all of us have smartphones now...you could also just hand your phone to a friend to film your review...of course if they're 45 min. thesis reviews the phone might not be able to handle the long video.

Mar 12, 14 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: